Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 PM   #1
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

best filter out there?

anyone have suggestions as to what i can purchase? i have a 40 gallon tank with live plants and about 30 fish.

my current filter is really REALLY old and they dont sell the filter cartridges for it anymore.

thanks!

Old 06-02-2003, 11:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to mendhigirl
I have a Emperor 400 on my 40gallon.Little on the pricey side,but well worth it.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
The Emprors are very nice, I have the 280 on my 20g. I just put a Magnum 350 on my 55 gallon. They make a smaller one too, the Magnum 250. The Marineland stuff is nice and the media is avalible almost anywhere. I'd check out www.thatfishplace.com as they seem to have the lowest prices.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
For a HOB power filter, IMO, the Emperor 400 is top of the line both in filtration capacity and quality. For a canister, the Eheim filters are probably the best available. They aren't cheap though. Since you have a planted tank, a canister would probably be best as it wouldn't disturb the surface as much. That will help keep the C02 levels up where they need to be for the plants. I agree that the Marineland canisters are good filters. They have one shortcoming IMO. Unless used in conjunction with a bio wheel setup, they lack good biological capability. Running them with a bio wheel gives them excellent biological capability, but also increases surface turbulence and diffuses C02 out of the water.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Love my Emporer 400. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to kbd517
I have a 46 gal bowfront- haven't set it up yet, but after *intensive* research, asking around etc., we decided on an eheim 2026 that we got at www.bigalsonline.com for $160, including shipping. Good luck-
Kristen
Old 06-09-2003, 03:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to wabyrd
I have several Emperor 280's and 400's. They can't be beat.
wabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 01:19 PM   #8
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

well i made a mistake...i forgot I had a truvu enclosed top tank...i must be out of it. I went and bought a penguin Bio Wheel 330 for 40 bucks.....and behold! it doesnt fit! and the store is waaaaaayyyy too far away to exchange it :P I kind of crammed it into the filter opening, sitting crooked...the bio wheels both spin, seems to be working great...waters clean as a whistle...but its crooked! its ugly...

anyone know how and if i should cut the opening on the tank?? its that thick acrylic material truvus are made of.....maybe i should just grin and bear it.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Another vote for the Emperor 400.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:44 AM   #10
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a AquaClear 300 no my 40 gallon...it really keeps the water clean and sparkling. Also it allows you to put three stage filtration media in it. You can put carbon bag in it, the bio sponge, and ammorid bag to help break down the ammonia. Even though the 300 model is for more larger tanks (up to 100 gal.) it does an excellent job.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com