best filter out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yv1

Aquarium Advice Activist
anyone have suggestions as to what i can purchase? i have a 40 gallon tank with live plants and about 30 fish.

my current filter is really REALLY old and they dont sell the filter cartridges for it anymore.

thanks!

The Emprors are very nice, I have the 280 on my 20g. I just put a Magnum 350 on my 55 gallon. They make a smaller one too, the Magnum 250. The Marineland stuff is nice and the media is avalible almost anywhere. I'd check out www.thatfishplace.com as they seem to have the lowest prices.

For a HOB power filter, IMO, the Emperor 400 is top of the line both in filtration capacity and quality. For a canister, the Eheim filters are probably the best available. They aren't cheap though. Since you have a planted tank, a canister would probably be best as it wouldn't disturb the surface as much. That will help keep the C02 levels up where they need to be for the plants. I agree that the Marineland canisters are good filters. They have one shortcoming IMO. Unless used in conjunction with a bio wheel setup, they lack good biological capability. Running them with a bio wheel gives them excellent biological capability, but also increases surface turbulence and diffuses C02 out of the water.

I have a 46 gal bowfront- haven't set it up yet, but after *intensive* research, asking around etc., we decided on an eheim 2026 that we got at www.bigalsonline.com for $160, including shipping. Good luck-
Kristen

well i made a mistake...i forgot I had a truvu enclosed top tank...i must be out of it. I went and bought a penguin Bio Wheel 330 for 40 bucks.....and behold! it doesnt fit! and the store is waaaaaayyyy too far away to exchange it :p I kind of crammed it into the filter opening, sitting crooked...the bio wheels both spin, seems to be working great...waters clean as a whistle...but its crooked! its ugly...

anyone know how and if i should cut the opening on the tank?? its that thick acrylic material truvus are made of.....maybe i should just grin and bear it.

I have a AquaClear 300 no my 40 gallon...it really keeps the water clean and sparkling. Also it allows you to put three stage filtration media in it. You can put carbon bag in it, the bio sponge, and ammorid bag to help break down the ammonia. Even though the 300 model is for more larger tanks (up to 100 gal.) it does an excellent job.

Measure the opening you have in the top of the tank. Possibly an Emperor 280 will fit? Another possibility is a Penguin 170 which is a little shorter than the Emp 280. The Emp is a far superior filter though. If not, can you post a pic of the top of the tank? Maybe we can come up with a way to make something fit.

The only filters I have used are an eclipse system 2 hood (filtration built in) and an aqua clear mini. The aqua clear mini is good for improving water quality and parameteres (help, is the key word here). However, I love the eclipse filter. I moved a radican sword from the 10 gallon with the aqua clear mini to the the 29 gallon with the eclipse, the plant was covered in algae, I was hoping I could get a little algae growth for my pleco, but the second I put it in the tank it was clean and clear, sparkling new.

well here is a pic of the non-fitting filter :) suggestions on what to do without buying a new filter??

those 2 plate halves i put in front to keep the water flowing into the tank and not all over the place. :)

Back
Top Bottom