Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Jim. Thats what I assumed. How often would I need to change foam in a canister such as the fx5? I assume I would not want to change all of it at once. I believe there are four levels of foam in the fx5. Would I just change the first and rotate the others down?

I would probably go with the fx5 over the eheim, but the Ocean Clear may be another option. Exactly why is it "easier to maintain" though?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just got back from the shop with a Tetratec EX700 for my new 35G

Old 10-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basically with the foam, you want to just wash them out in old tank water, as they start to fall apart you would change them out one at a time.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know much about the FX5, but in general, don't all canisters have a bio-media like bio balls or ceramic rings that you never change? The pads themselves then could be changed as often as desired or on a regular basis.

I could go either way on the filtration. A canister is cleaner looking and perfectly functional, a sump gives you more system water and you can change pads easier and hide other equipment, but can be noisy and if something gets plugged you can overflow the tank, unless you drill the tank and put in a Caflo 3-pipe overflow system.

For FW and simplicity, I'd lean towards canister.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I've had the fluval 305 and 405 running on my 150g for over a year now and have never changed any of the media in them. The sponges hold up well and I can see them lasting every bit of 2-3 years or more. The ceramic rings will probably last forever (at least as long as the filter is running). I would have to say that two canisters would be better than one. Running multiples will allow you to have a backup in case one fails, as well as being able to clean them on opposite weeks. While I think one fx5 would be sufficient for a tank of that size, two would certainly be better. I wouldn't really want to run more than two. I'd say two rena xp4's would do the trick as well, and would be about $200 each, which would save you about $200 over the fx 5's (though the fx5 is close to double the gph). Since you're in planning stages right now, I think you'll have plenty of time to figure out what filtration method you will go with. I have little experience with sumps, but I do agree that a sump would be great for hiding heaters and things of that nature. For a tank of that size, a 55g or 75g tank underneath would be a nice addition to the overall tank volume and would probably provide as good or better filtration.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also run multiple canisters, 3- Eheim 2080's on a 225 Mbuna tank. I will clean one every couple of weeks which will give each about 4 weeks of use. and everything stays nice. I also do a 50 gallon water change every 2 weeks and vacuum as much as i can get to.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #17

The Ocean Clear is easier to maintain since you don't have to open it up and manually clean the media. You put it on backwash. This drains the tank by pushing water through the canister in the opposite direction as usual, pushing debris out and out the drain. We had filters with backwash options on the systems at the shop I was running and it makes a HUGE difference. We used the Ultima IIs made by Aqua UV, I think these would be better but they are much more expensive than the Ocean Clear.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

This has really been invaluable. I feel much better about my options and have much more confidence in selecting a system that will work for me. Everyone has been a huge help. I think most of my questions have been answered. Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I don't know much about the FX5, but in general, don't all canisters have a bio-media like bio balls or ceramic rings that you never change? r.
Pretty much yeah. My filter manual says that the bio balls and ceramics should be regularly washed in tank water but you can keep using them for as long as you can still get the worst of the dirt off them.

Means you can change things like the filter pads without worrying too much about it entirely wiping out your bacteria!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliderfish View Post
This has really been invaluable. I feel much better about my options and have much more confidence in selecting a system that will work for me. Everyone has been a huge help. I think most of my questions have been answered. Thanks! Much appreciated!
Once you've made a purchase and got set up, make sure you post back here to tell us about your setup

Tags
filter, filter media, freshwater, freshwater aquarium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com