Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Xp3 for $110: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

404 for $120: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

You'd need some bio media for either one, but that would only be another $20 or so. Might as well get a bag of floss, too. Works great for polishing the water.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I ditto on the AquaClear 70 ... I started with one on my 55g, but have since added a second. Most people will agree that there's no such thing as overfiltration (other than the high water current), so you can always go bigger than what you need. If you go smaller or right at the proper size, you can always double up on your filtration, assuming you have the space to put another on.

I can't speak for canister filters, other than the research I did while considering getting one. I was looking at a Rena Filstar XP3 for mine and if I remember correctly they were around $100 when I was looking last year. so, i have no idea what kind of maintenance, etc goes into those. I know you get some additional flexibility with canisters in taht they usually allow you to "hide" your filtration under tank in your cabinet, they usually have ample space to add bio additives, inline heaters, etc. But that comes at a price versus the hob type filters.

I went with the AC 70's based on price, and I love them. I think I got mine for around $25 each. You can still add bio-media / charcoal if you wish. My biggest argument for the AC's are you don't have to keep buying replacement filter media. I just open mine up, and rinse out the sponges (I use 2 instead of just one), put them back in and its ready to go.

So, if you buy something like an AquaClear hob filter, you'd have to decide what size you want ... given that you're thinking of transferring your new filter to a larger tank. Even if you went with an AC 70 or smaller ... you could use it as part of your filtration on the larger tank (ie: you'd need to add another filter in addition to the AC 70).

I don't know how many filters others use on their large tanks, but my friend who has a 125g uses 2 hob AquaClears and a canister on his. Now, could he get by with one good sized canister? I dunno ... probably.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go to Aquatraders.com Get yourself an Odyssea CFS4 (formerly Jebo 828) cannister filter for an unbelievable $39.99. I have one for 1 year now. Nothing comes close for the money!
Old 01-29-2006, 06:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have to agree about the Jebo Odyssea. It's pretty much a direct knockoff of the Eheim Pro II series, and a few others. It's well designed and constructed, and runs very quietly and efficiently. And, it comes with all media! That is it already comes with filter pads, Ammonia remover chips, ceramic rings, and sponges. It's a four media basket (baskets have individual handles) filter with large priming pump knob, hoses, fittings, inlet and outlet tubes and spraybar.

I have one that I'm very impressed with. In comparison to my other canister filters which include:
Fluval 104, 204, 304(2)
Kangde 601, 602, 603 (sold under many different brand names, and similar to the Rena XP)
Former owner of a couple of different Eheim Classics,
I'd have to say, it's the best filter bargain available.

In terms of convenience I like the aqua stop feature of the Fluvals, but other than that, all are pretty much equal. They all do what they're supposed to-clean the water. They all do it very quietly. In fact, I have to touch the Kangdes to tell if they're running or not. But, the Jebo is nearly as silent. For the features, included media and accessories, cosmetic appearance, ease of use and performance, the Jebo is unbeatable! And......when you consider the price, it's an astounding deal.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbaz
I am very surprised that no one has suggested an aquaclear HOB filter. I have a aquaclear 70 on my 29gal tank and love it. Personally I think putting a canister filter on a 29g is like using a shotgun to kill a spider - overkill! An AC70 is great for a tank that size and only costs about $30. Then buy a canister when you buy a tank that needs it.

just my 2 cents.
I agree, not only is it overkill but you are going to end up doing more work in the long run. Go with a HOB, the Aquaclear is good and so are a bunch of others. Just make sure you get one that the replacement cartridges don't end up breaking the bank in the long run.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
I'm not sure how much a comercial sump is but you could use that. It would be easily carried over to a larger tank you would just have to get a bigger pump. I am looking into building one. If ur up to it its a lot of fun. I think u can buy a used one pretty cheap.
"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question about the Odyssea:

How often do I need to buy specific filter media supplies like filter pads and such?

I'm really NOT a big fan of using stuff like ammonia removing chips, carbon, etc.

Can I successfully run one of these with mechanical and biological filtration media and forget about the chemical filtration stuff?

What other supplies might I want to buy?

How often do you clean one of these?

right now I use exclusively Emperor and Penguin HOB filters and have been very please with them. I cut out the backs of the filters and remove the carbon when they begin to clog up and rince the filters many times before throwing them out. I want to have the same or better economy with a canister filter if possible.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
You can do the same with a cannister. I reuse my pads I have had my current pads for well over two years. There is also plenty of room for biomedia as well.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol

right now I use exclusively Emperor and Penguin HOB filters and have been very please with them. I cut out the backs of the filters and remove the carbon when they begin to clog up and rince the filters many times before throwing them out. I want to have the same or better economy with a canister filter if possible.
So why get a different filter, stick with what you got. I'm telling you, canisters are a pain to clean once the tubes get clogged. Just think of them like remote hobs, they both do about the same job but with one you have big tubes going in and out of the thing to get the water to the filter.

If you do get a canister I agree with rich, just get a bunch of biomedia & sponges, and skip the stuff like carbon and chips.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha
Go to Aquatraders.com Get yourself an Odyssea CFS4 (formerly Jebo 828) cannister filter for an unbelievable $39.99. I have one for 1 year now. Nothing comes close for the money!
But its another $30 for shipping, making it $70 for a knock-off filter without any warranty.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com