Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
waynephinney

Best filter that won't break the bank?

I'm still an aquarium n00b, so I need all the help I can get. Are there really good filtration systems out there that will help me in keeping my ammonia and other levels where they should be? I don't even care if it's moderately expensive because I don't intend to get it tomorrow. I just want to be prepared for when I get a new filter setup.

Some of you already know about the problems I've had with my new tank due to my complete inexperience and misinformation, and while I certainly don't mind following the advice I've already been given, any help I can get would be a good thing.

Ideas?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pretty much any filter will keep your water with good levels as long as it is sized appropriately, except for an ugf. Are you looking for a hob? I can't remember what your tank size is off the top of my head.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
waynephinney

Odd that it didn't show up with my post.

It's a 29 gallon with what I'm told are far too many fish, but of course nobody tells me this when I'm buying them. The one I have hangs on the back, but it's on a solid stand with storage underneath. I wouldn't even mind something that I had to store inside the stand and just drill a large enough hole to get any tubing through to get up to the tank or what have you.

In a couple of years, assuming my balas and iridescent don't die, I'll need to upgrade to a bigger tank anyhow, so if I don't end up using the 29 after that, I'll want a filter that can be carried over. When I upgrade, again, assuming the fish last long enough to get big enough to need a tank that size, I'm getting a 125 gallon tank, so I'll want something that can handle that too.

I just hope not all of my fish die before then.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could have a canister on the tank. A Cascade 700 would be a good option for you. It would provide additional filtration and wont break the bank. Well, I guess it really depends on what you consider breaking the bank. LOL

As far as upgrading, if you put a filter on a 29 gal tank that is suitable for a 125, your fish will be pushed around the tank in a pretty big current. You can always use the filter later on the 125, but it won't be your sole filtration.

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
waynephinney

The bigger current almost sounds like a good thing for the balas and iridescent. I've read that having a current to swim against will give them to opportunity to feel like they're swimming in a bigger area.

As for breaking the bank, anything over $300 is out for right now. I'd like to stay under $200 if at all possible.

Cascade 700 eh? I think I saw one of those at my LFS. I'll check that out.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a Fluval 304 cannister on my 29 gal, and I've been very happy with it. It's on sale at Big Als online for $73, including the media. I have tiger barbs and rasboras - they enjoy the 304's current, but are not at all knocked around by it. The Fluvals also allow you to adjust the outflow by as much as 50%.

If and when you get that 125 gal, you could buy a SECOND Fluval 304 and run both on it.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could also get something like a Cascade 1000 if you don't feel concerned about the flow rate. But you could also use the spray bar instead of the nozel to help with that. And the flow is adjustable.

55 Gallon Community
Old 01-18-2006, 03:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am very surprised that no one has suggested an aquaclear HOB filter. I have a aquaclear 70 on my 29gal tank and love it. Personally I think putting a canister filter on a 29g is like using a shotgun to kill a spider - overkill! An AC70 is great for a tank that size and only costs about $30. Then buy a canister when you buy a tank that needs it.

just my 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Im using a new Penquin Emperor 280 bio wheel with my Top Find 30g HOB in conjuntion and ****, my water has never been cleaner. No more UGF's for me ever!
(1) Pleco
(1) Red Tailed Shark
(?) Snails who came outa nowhere
IceWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Under $200 is a pretty generous budget for any canister other than an eheim pro. Check out the Fluval 404, or the Rena Filstar Xp3. Either will easily support a tank up to about 70 gallons and should come in well under $200 installed. (buy online.)

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com