Best filtration for 29 gallon and why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi guys,
I'm looking into the future here.. and what do I see at the end of this summer? I see me going back to penn state this fall but my 29 gallon tank will be stuck at home. I'm trying to get a better filter unit setup so pwc's can be reduced to maybe monthly since my girlfriend will be the one going over and doing them. (parents will be feeding daily)
Currently: 3 albino bn plecs, 1 albino cory, 2 head/tail light tetras

UGF and a an elcheapo HOB filter.

I was thinking about getting into the canister filters. I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best/easiest (including if there was a power outage) filtration for a 29 gallon tank and why? (including reasons and the pros/cons to them as well as media) Also, would it be worthwhile to completely remove my UGF? And should i i just get an aquaclear 300 (70) hob filter or are the canisters that much better?
I know everyone's opinons varies, but any info would be a great help.
TIA
-Stewie

I think having an extra filter might be excessive but fine. I'd get a small canister filter to start with like a Hagen Fluval 204 depending on how much money you want to be spending.

I'd advise on getting the 204 and maybe scrapping the UGF, as they're quite messy to clean and it's alot of work to take out the plates when you do want to clean it. With the 204 going you should have more then enough filteration.

Just make sure you do some gravel-vac'ing when you start to see debris/waste/food etc on the gravel/sand, i'm sure you do already :) just going to add it here for any newbies that take a good at the post.

Good luck!

JMHO

I might go with the Fluval 404. It doesn't say on BigAl's how many gph or the tank rating, but I figured it will be a good filration unit with the bio-max ceramic rings, which is what I think could be handy at the moment.
Thanks for your input.
Anyone else want to suggest something else?
TIA
-Stewie

Surely a 404 would suck in water and blow it out faster then you wold want for a 29gallon tank? It might make your tank like a whirlpool lol. Then again maybe not, just seems like quite a big filter for just 29gallons :)

Yeah, i'm going to have to spec them out as the GPH and their rated tank size. I just figured, i have the money, so the bigger the better, except for what you said.. running multiple smaller filters would be better as less distrubance than one huge one. Maybe the 304 will be a good choice after I look at their specs.
Thanks
-Stewie

i have a 404 on my blue rams 29gal and has no prob with it.

Heres the specs

- Multi Stage Filter
- Output: 340 U.S.g. (1300 l)
- Recommended Maximum Aquarium: 100 U.S.g. (400 l)
- Designed to provide optimum aquarium filtration
- Versatile combination of mechanical and biological capacity
- External Dimensions (without AquaStop Connection):
- 6.5" (16.5 cm)D
- 9.5" (24.2 cm)W
- 15.5" (40.0 cm)H

IMO over filtering is always better. When you start doing monthly water changes instead of weekly or bi-weekly you will need the extra filter. You could use the same filter you have now and just add a small canister, that way you have two going at the same time. This way when you clean the filters, you won't cause a big ruckus in the cycle. I don't have any experience with small canisters like those listed above. I have a H.O.T Magnum but haven't used it yet (it's in storage on my 55 gal). On my 150 we have 2 Cascade's going. Great units. The smallest they run is for 100 gal.

Back
Top Bottom