Best FW Filter Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here it is folks. Put your input in for what you think is the best filter around! Doesn't mean you have to own it, and it doesn't matter what category. :)

From what ive heard, i think the FX5 is at the top of the list of best filters. And if we were to make categories for types, i feel that the best hob is the fluval c4 because it holds a lot of media and unlike the aquaclear coarse sponge, it will be able to do fine filtering while still being able to do biological filtration and it can hold carbon in case you need it. Plus, it has a wet/dry section...

Link119 said:
From what ive heard, i think the FX5 is at the top of the list of best filters. And if we were to make categories for types, i feel that the best hob is the fluval c4 because it holds a lot of media and unlike the aquaclear coarse sponge, it will be able to do fine filtering while still being able to do biological filtration and it can hold carbon in case you need it. Plus, it has a wet/dry section...

Which one do you use?

Best HOB: AC 110
Best overall canister: FX5 but too powerful for under 75 gal
Canister for 55 gal: Eheim 2217, Fluval 406, Rena XP3

I'm currently running AC110 and Eheim 2217 on my 55 gallon mbuna tank. No actual experience with the other models.

Slade said:
Best HOB: AC 110
Best overall canister: FX5 but too powerful for under 75 gal
Canister for 55 gal: Eheim 2217, Fluval 406, Rena XP3

I'm currently running AC110 and Eheim 2217 on my 55 gallon mbuna tank. No actual experience with the other models.

How is the ehiem holding up? Price? And the AC110

The best filter is the one you are willing to keep maintained. For HOBs, it is hard to beat an AC, since you don't have to turn them off to clean the elements. They can be done at every water change. If you like the idea of storing the crud in your tank, rather than removing it, a cannister is best, as it hides the crud out of sight.

I bought the Eheim used a year and a half ago for $80. Never any problems, it's very quiet. You can get them $130 new with media. The AC110 is almost a year old with no problem, I have another on my tiger barb tank. Quiet for a HOB and easy to mix media. I don't use carbon, I put blue bonded filter pads between the sponge and noodles for polishing.

BillD said:
The best filter is the one you are willing to keep maintained. For HOBs, it is hard to beat an AC, since you don't have to turn them off to clean the elements. They can be done at every water change. If you like the idea of storing the crud in your tank, rather than removing it, a cannister is best, as it hides the crud out of sight.

Well said. I clean out my canister every 4-5 weeks. I rinse the HOB media with every PWC, but the whole filter needs a full cleaning every month or so too.

Back
Top Bottom