Best Gravel Vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how about this.

Its the off brand of the python..

It takes the water to the sink for you.. saves alot of labor..

how long a hose you need depends on how far away you are from a sink..
and IME the brass adaptor for your sink is a must have (the plastic one is rinky dink IMHO)

I own a python........it's one of the best things I've ever bought for this hobby.

But the knockoff that greenmaji links to is probably just as good.

Maybe the only advantage to the python would be ease of finding replacement parts.
My LFS carries them..........but I would only buy it from them in a pinch......to much of a markup.

I only use a python knock-off to refill my 75 gallon tank. I still drain into 5gallon buckets and dump it on my garden plants and trees/bushes around the house.

the siphon on a python is not as strong as a plain gravel vac.

how large is your tank? if its a 20gal, get a medium size vac, and some buckets.

I have a standard 55gal tank and the siphon generated by the Python is way more than enough to lift gravel all the way to the top (not that I want that to happen).

Ya Malkore.........I'd have to strongly agree with TrickyTerp.

My python works better than any other gravel vac or gravity powered siphon I've ever used.
It's powered by your tap........so u can even regulate the suction.

lol are you using the upstairs faucet to power it?

I got my python yesterday , its awsome, completly worth the $25.

Malkore is right IMHO, the suction is not as strong but it dosn't get cloged like a regular siphon. My drains also drain slowly so I cant run it on full strength for long.

I use the python as a regular sphon when draining the tank and eithe let it go in the tub or out the window then attatch it to the sink for fillingup. With this method you get just as much suction as a regular gravel vac.

I think the power of the python is dependant on your water pressure. My bathroom taps have more pressure than the low flow kitchen tap so I use the python through that and have sucked gravel right through the vac into the tubing. If your drain runs slowly try some of those foaming drain cleaners. They'll help.

haven't used one for a while, but i found a 2 litre Coke bottle and a piece of hose works better then any gravel vac i've had.

hi briandoran the product you are referring i was thinking about buying as well ..it is made by a company named tom aquarium products..they're number is 1-800-770-4430..
this is in no way like the python according to the reps at dr.fosters and smith also you will have big big trouble in locating the parts for this.. i talked to the man at toms aquarium products and he sounded like he just woke up and had no clue on any replacement parts and insisted that i was referring to they're battery operated vacuum which had no parts as well besides the replacement bags!!!
everyone that owns a python seems really pleased and i would just spend the extra money if you want the features of this vac and the ease of finding the parts..
i just ordered one and when it comes in i will take a look at the design and probably build one using plumbing supplies if it is not to expensive and post the lay out

:? well i just cancelled the order on the python ..lol
i was looking at the pictures of the python and realized what they were using was the same thing as a water bed kit :evil:
pure evil.. and robbery to charge 60 bucks for an aquarium vac coupled together with a water bed fill/drain kit..
anyways immediately went to my building and put one together easily. i tried it it works great i have clear 1/2 (dishwasher hose) tubing to spare because i do plumbing and all i did was try this out with a 2 inch pvc pipe 24 inches long and made the transition from 1/2 pvc to the half inch clear tubing..
i could not wait to post the results and i just got done cleaning
i assume if you know basic plumbing(pipe connections) you can easily modify this by adding cut offs any where you want....

this only costed me what i have laying around out in my building..why did'nt i think of this before :oops:

clear tubing is around 20-30 cents a foot and a water bed kit is 5-6 dollars

just by a cheap gravel vac that the 1/2 tubing will fit on and you will not need the pvc pipe and maybe a small 25 cent hose clamp???

a female 1/2" garden hose coupling - $1.00-2.00 dollars so you can connect to the water bed fitting that hooks to the sink....

i love this and seems like this should be under 20 bucks total
good luck

It is a waterbed fill/drain kit.. the thing is finding that much fish safe hose for a long distance can be a pain, just ask some of the people that have tried.. and Ive made one, you dont need the hose clamp.
and $60 is more then the retail price in a store were I am :?

and the amount of suction is dependent on the PSI of your water preasure just as Zagz was thinking, I've used them in several places and it suction has always depended on the water preasure at the faucet its connected to.

greenmaji said:
It is a waterbed fill/drain kit.. the thing is finding that much fish safe hose for a long distance can be a pain, just ask some of the people that have tried.. and Ive made one, you dont need the hose clamp.
and $60 is more then the retail price in a store were I am :?

and the amount of suction is dependent on the PSI of your water preasure just as Zagz was thinking, I've used them in several places and it suction has always depended on the water preasure at the faucet its connected to.

yes a waterbed fill and drain kit.. and i did a lil research and the cheapest one i found is here at this link with no shipping

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-rps-products-waterbed-drain-and-fill-kit-dfk--pi-1279921.html

yes you probably don't need a hose clamp but i prefer it for my own reassurance ,heck it can;t hurt.. plus when using the cut off when the phone rings my water pressure is at 65 p.s.i. ..
may i ask what do you mean by safe for fish at a long distance.. are you referring to the type of materials made in the clear poly vinyl not being safe and approved by fda nothing to fear because if it was'nt us as licensed plumbers could get in alot of trouble and loose our licenses and business if we installed this material in any medical or food service environment where it is most commonly installed or heck our own homes ..
anyways visit my friends here at this link for food grade half inch clear tubing approved by fda for 35 cents a foot

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleartubing.html

i hope finding this fda approved clear vinyl tubing material is not so much of a pain anymore and this helps someone..but it is basically the same compound as the stuff at lowes for 29 cents a foot according to my m.s.d.s. ..
but if there is a problem with the materials that is not in the m.s.d.s. please let me know...
... as far as it being not safe for fish because of suction i had no problems but if people do have a problem sucking up they're fish then the vacuum here at this link has a backflow preventer that will fix that

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12752&N=2004+113164

and i am now sure the same method can be applied to that vac as well..
just be sure when filling the tank back up that the backflow preventer is disabled or removed :idea:
i found a top fin large vac today at the flea market for 2 bucks and i took a picture of it just for you guys... just use more hose than what i have in the pics to reach your faucet and buy a waterbed drain fill kit

Attachments

• home_made_python_240_335.jpg
    home_made_python_240_335.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 127
  • home_made_python__1__838.jpg
    home_made_python__1__838.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 132
they sell garden hose repair joints for like a buck a piece for those wanting an easy way to join the hose (and to put in a ball valve in the line like the python, threaded barbs and threaded ball valve would make the project that much easier ;) )

Back
Top Bottom