Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Imo aquaclears are the best hob filters. Ive heard the fluval hobs are pretty good too but i have no experience with them

Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #12

Fluval is made by the same company that makes the AquaClears, Hagen...

Old 03-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not recommend the Whisper HOB if you want a quiet filter. I had an internal Whisper that was quiet but didn't filter much. I bought a Whisper 30 HOB and it was noisy from day one. After checking the reviews on line, it seems that most of them are loud. I tried everything to quieten mine down. I gave up and bought an aquaclear. The Whisper did filter just as well as the aquarclear though. The noise was irritating.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

So now I found a fluval 205 on Craigslist for $40... I can't decided weather to get that or a aqua clear 40! Ahhhh the heck!!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ac line is great the bio wheels are cheaper but I didn't like mine. The canister would be nice but if not do ac70 or even the 110 more is always better! Good luck
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, if I had the money, I'd buy the AquaClear 70 for my 45 long. But I got the biowheel 350 for free, so meh.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
I would not recommend the Whisper HOB if you want a quiet filter. I had an internal Whisper that was quiet but didn't filter much. I bought a Whisper 30 HOB and it was noisy from day one. After checking the reviews on line, it seems that most of them are loud. I tried everything to quieten mine down. I gave up and bought an aquaclear. The Whisper did filter just as well as the aquarclear though. The noise was irritating.
Interesting thing about Tetra...this company used to be, "back in the day," the Rolls-Royce of aquatic hobbyist products...I mean, all their products were well-regarded and their original Whisper filter line was the HOB to have...

Today, it's just not the same -- from what I have heard and read, these "newer" Whisper filters, including the "EX" series, just don't cut it especially when compared to the AquaClears, etc. There was a time, years ago when I kept tropicals with my dad, that I wouldn't use anything other than Tetra even for food (their TetraFin/Min flakes were always at the ready), but now I avoid most of their products like the plague as the whole operation seems to have gone really mass-market in terms of approach...

This happens not only with aquarium hobbyists and related products, but in other commodity sectors as well -- take, for example, the "Rockford Fosgate" car audio manufacturer. Was a time when you couldn't touch this stuff unless you were really wealthy; as soon as I saw their amps and speakers showing up in the Crutchfield catalog, I knew they had gone "mass-market" and that it was pretty much over....however, in Rockford's case, they still do make a great car stereo product and not that Tetra doesn't make at least decent stuff, it's just not the same as it once was...

Tags
hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com