Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best HOB

I am setting up a small nano planted tank. Skip the details of all the plants and fish.. I want to know what is a good HOB filter. Tank is a 40 gallon tall. Not going to have to many fish maybe a handful of tetra. I want I know what is the best and I'd like it I be quite. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's all a matter of opinion. Personally like the aquaclears and penguin biowheels.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was looking at getting a whisper 60. Do you think it's better to get something ratted for a lil bigger.

Also what should I put in the media bag... Not a fan of carbons
Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlid_tank619 View Post
I am setting up a small nano planted tank. Skip the details of all the plants and fish.. I want to know what is a good HOB filter. Tank is a 40 gallon tall. Not going to have to many fish maybe a handful of tetra. I want I know what is the best and I'd like it I be quite. Thanks!
If you are considering using CO2 injection then you may want to consider a canister filter. If you don't desire to use CO2 then I would recommend an aqua clear.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfanatic View Post

If you are considering using CO2 injection then you may want to consider a canister filter. If you don't desire to use CO2 then I would recommend an aqua clear.
What's the reasoning for using a canister with CO2? What does it do that a HOB can't? Not planing on using CO2, just in case I do later I would like to know all benefits.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

A HOB filter creates surface irritation with would cause the CO2 to be released from the aquarium. While injecting CO2 you want as little surface agitation as possible. A canister filter can create as much or as little service agitation, based on the height of the output nozzle. Now don't think that a HOB filter will be all bad, you would just have to inject more CO2 if you had a HOB filter.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
A HOB filter creates surface irritation with would cause the CO2 to be released from the aquarium. While injecting CO2 you want as little surface agitation as possible. A canister filter can create as much or as little service agitation, based on the height of the output nozzle. Now don't think that a HOB filter will be all bad, you would just have to inject more CO2 if you had a HOB filter.
I had a feeling that was the reason. I think I'll be goo with out the canister. I'm planing on using organic miracle grow under the sand for main source if nutrients. I've done it before.. Plants boom!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup! That is fine. No need to have co2 to have a nice tank. To answer you last question, a filter larger will be better, but you don't want it so large that it creates a sand storm for your fish
Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yup! That is fine. No need to have co2 to have a nice tank. To answer you last question, a filter larger will be better, but you don't want it so large that it creates a sand storm for your fish
I also have heard that Co2 is scary as in a lil to much can wipe out your tank.. Killing all your fish
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #10

Indeed, as you, the OP, have probably already discerned, this is a topic that has wildly fluxuating opinions; 99.9 percent of the aquatic hobbyist world will steer you towards a Hagen AquaClear...for my two cents worth, you should choose either an AquaClear or Aqueon QuietFlow...

http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Clip-On

Aqueon Aquarium Products It's all about the fish

Tags
hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com