Best HOB filter for 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think is the HOB filter?

• Aqua-Tech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aqua Clear

• Penguin

• Emperor

• Whisper

• Any with bio-wheel

• Total voters

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an Aqua-Tech power filter, model 5-15 that came with a tank set-up from wally world. How does it compare to Aquaclears, Emperors and Penguins as far as filtration and performance? I want to have proper filtration because I will be using this for breeder tanks for my C. trilineatus. Is there really that much difference between the Aqua-Tech and the other brands?

I chose the Aquaclear, but I really like the Penguin mini as well. The Aquaclear has a slight advantage in that it is quieter than the Penguin if that matters to you. I use a Penguin mini and Aquaclear 150 on a 20 gallon tank and both are really good HOBs. The Emperors are excellent filters (I have 3 of them), but since they only come in 2 sizes (280 gph and 400 gph) they would really be overkill in a 10 gallon. I haven't used the Whisper, but I have heard they aren't too great so I would be inclined not to buy one. When I had my 10 gallon tank set up I think the filter that came with it was the Aquatech, and I thought it was kind of junky. I ditched it and got my Penguin mini, which I later moved to my 20 gallon with the Aquaclear.

You can get an Aquaclear or Penguin for around $10-12 online and I think it would be a really good investment for your tank. If you don't want to mess with changing cartridges then get the Aquaclear- it comes with a big sponge that you can rinse off and use over and over. I use 2 Aquaclears and I"ve never replaced the sponges. I just rinse them in tankwater (NOT tapwater) about once a month during a water change. HTH :mrgreen:

Well that's more what I needed to know. The uaquatech will work until I can get an Aquaclear. I have a planted tank so that eliminates the need for carbon, will have to remove my carbons on my undergravels as this could, and probably is why my plants don't do as well as I hoped.

My only question now, the mini or the next one up?

Why does a planted tank eliminate the need for carbon?

I also do not like Whisper products, I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.

The carbon removes CO2 doesn't it? I have carbon inserts still in my undergravels stacks but it could be the reason my plants don't seem to grow anywhere but on top. Am I wrong and is carbon a needed filter part for planted tank?

I read this while looking at 2 different sites looking for prices of HOB filters. They said the carbon removes CO2 so it wouldn't be needed in a plnted tank. I would be more than happy to see something explaining where and when active carbon filtration is or isn't needed.

My LFS doesn't even use them, but we both know about LFS and their sometimes not so good advice. Like being told my plants were for warm water and they weren't and the common thing of being given advice by one that is different than the next one you talk to.

Please set me straight if I am on the wrong path. By the end of the year I want to breed C. trilineatus and I want everything as good as I can get it before I get started.

Lets set something straight: carbon is never NEEDED all the time. Carbon serves two purposes, removing odors, and absorbing some chemicals, mainly medications. It can also absorb/trap some fine particles that discolor your water.

None of my tanks ever run carbon.

My Tank came with a whisper..BIG POS..Switched to the Aquaclear..and the water is so clear now..

I don't use carbon in my Aquaclears either, unless I am removing a med or something. I just use the sponge block and the "Biomax" (little ceramic bits for the bacteria to grow on) and my water is fine. Good luck with your breeding project!

Since this tank is going to be used for breeding fish I don't think that a HOB filter is right for the job at all. I have four tanks that are ten gallons in size, and one that is twenty gallons, that all have sponge filters. One of these tanks is my quarantine/hospital tank and the others I use for breeding and raising fish. A sponge filter is ideal in this cirumstance because there is no danger of accidentally sucking up fry into the filter, the sponge surface acts as a feeding ground for the fry, sponge filters are easy to maintain (I just squeeze it out when I do my partial water change) and they are inexpensive.

I have used emporers, aquaclears, and regular bio-wheels. I would recommend any of them.

The aquaclears do run very quiet. I have a 300 on my 29 gallon right now. Waiting for the bio wheel 330 to come in. I got it on ebay for fairly cheap.

I usually use bio wheels and I have never had a problem.

In my breeding tank, the HOB will be attatched to the sponge filter for added filtration and the artemia and food that sponge filters provide. I will have the tank heavily planted with java moss and anacharis so the sponge filter running off of airstones will be a negative thing. I am going to breed C. trilineatus so they also like the plants and the sponge filters. I am beginning to think the aquaclear is the one I will go with since it is not only economical but doesn't have the bio-wheel that my young ones will like to play with and render useless. 8O

Thanks everyone, this has helped a ton and I will make for a healthier breeding tank when my C. trilineatus are large enough.

i only recently realized i shouldnt be using chemical filtration unless needed and my tanks are doing better since i have lots of plants. i have a penguin 125 on my 10 and the flow seems just about right but it's not a breeding tank.

Back
Top Bottom