Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to garth7
Best Kelvin Ratings for MH ballasts

What is the best bulb (in terms of kelvins) for a MN ballast? I am just now wanting to get into corals and have had saltwater fish for over 3 years. I foudn the following ballast on E-bay any ideas or suggestions??? Do I need actins with any bulbs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks a bunch guys and gals!!!!
Doug

Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can run 14k bulbs and will not need antics. 10k is best for corals but you will want to supplement it with antics. I run 14k bulbs in my fixtures. It is a good median. Be cautious of off brand equipment.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What your going to find is that when you ask something like 'best kelvin' your going to get many different answers because nearly everyone will have a unique view as to what they like best. I have a 20K XM bulb over my 20 gal and I like its color alot. I have no other lighting over the tank other than a single moon led.

Others will prefer 10K MH with actinic PC or VHO where as others will like something inbetween.

Then you have a wide array of visual color differances using the same specitrum bulb but different brands. This is most evident here. http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
yea.. this is a loaded question.. lol
there are alot of oppinons on this one..
its been said that high light coarl and critters do best with 6500K but its known to be very yellow (needing a good punch of 03 to hide it if you dont like it) 10,000K being better then the higher K's.. the lower the Kelvin the more PAR/light the bulbs put out most generaly..
other then that its a matter of preferance with the color of the light.. alot of SW aquarist really dig alot of blue.. Ive seen 20,000K and they have put out a new 50,000K bulb and people suplementing that with lots of 03.. how fast the coarls grow compared to lower K's I wouldnt know but man that would be blue if not purple.. LOL
Old 11-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I personally picked a 10k bulb with some actinic to give it a nice blue finish and I also hear you want 6500k for maximum coral growth. For me 6500k was way to yellow. Even the 10k is fairly yellow. I think next go around I might pick a 14k or a 12k. The coralvue 12k looks really nice.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I have read that the 10,000 is better for coral growh and the 20000 has the look appeal. I will maybe have to see about getting some actins to go with this kit.

What did you think of this guy's ebay price? I didnt know if this is worth the money or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Doug
Old 11-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Overall it looks good to me. The person has a large rating on them with lots of positives. The ballst box is going to be large because it will contain two ballasts within the same box.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
That looks like a great price to me. I spent about 130 bucks on building my own setup so that looks like a great deal. I really wouldn't go with the 10k unless you are going to give a decent punch of actinic.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was thinking about the 14000K bulb on this set up. The light wont look as yellow. I was also going to add some actin pc's or vho later.

doug
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do not know if you got my PM or not but I found you a price of $305 for two 250w coralvue retro kits including shipping.

Tags
ballast

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com