Best Light Spectrum for Coraline Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard the bluer the better. Would getting another actinic or a 20k bulb be best (to replace my very pink looking bulb, not sure the temp, but it is pink compared to my 12k)

IMO, correct alkalinity, mag, and calcium levels are more important than color spectrum. Intensity has done more to vary the coralline algae in my tank...under my halides my tank walls have been covered in pink instead of the purple in my PC lit tanks.

pink bulb...sounds like the 9325K GE bulb. good for plants, but I think it'd look odd in a reef tank.

As Hoops said, alk, cal, and Mg levels are more important for coraline growth than light intensity or spectrum.
I run one Actinic 03 and one 10,000K daylight. my coralline goes crazy as long as I keep up with alk and calcium dosing (Mg is never a problem for me)

That's probably close to the temperature. I know it's a 32 watt "all glass aquarium" 48 inch bulb that came with a NO strip light I bought at Petco. Drfostersmith has all glass bulbs same discription as mine and it says they're 8000k.

I agree with the others...
I have a 48" NO light strip on my fowlr and I run URI bulbs, 1 40 watt super actinic and 1 40 watt actinic white and I have tons of coraline on the LR.

Back
Top Bottom