Best lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a lot of light for a 55. You certainly could grow whatever you wanted but I think a fixture with the option for low light at the start and end of the day would be better. That fixture will be full on for the whole photoperiod. I'd go LEDs. Do you know the replacement costs for the bulbs?

That will definitely work, but don't forget to factor in it will use twice as much electricity to run, every year you will need to replace the bulbs (probably $75 or more for quality bulbs), and since metal halides put out so much heat you may need to get a chiller for your tank or find some other way to keep the temps down.

Well my tank is in my basement and I live in kansas and it gets pretty cold so I thnk I will just have to turn my heater off.

I am all for DIY (I DIY'ed my entire setup except for my current LED lights), but almost every DIY LED lighting system I saw looks like a frankenstein project with wires and drivers hanging out all over the place. If you don't mind that type of look, go for it.

If you want a more "finished" look, I highly recommend buying an LED system, but you will be hard pressed to find anything for less than $300 for a 4' tank.

These are very popular, but use only blue and white LED's. I use similar lights over my 125 and can grow and keep anything. 2 units will run you right around $300.
2 Dimmable 120W Marine Organism Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank LED Lamp White US | eBay

I am getting these.[/QUOTE/] so i am just making sure this will work for any coral on my 55g 48x12" aquarium.

It works for coral, but I don't like seller donnot mention the actual made of the chip. Reason y I kno? They said it is either birdgelux or Cree. However, birdgelux is impossible the same cost of Cree when comes to cost, and also the 120w Cree is almost equal to 180w birdgelux or even more. I have been making mistake on the zetlight fixture I sold that I told ppl on thereeftank forum it was made with Cree and someone on the forum almost put a shooting target on my head and rage about it.

Sorry for asking so many time I just do not want to mess up. So these LEDs will work for any coral on my 55g 48x12".

Yes they will work for any coral. SPS corals have the most light requirements but not a good start for beginners. The issue is that not all corals like a lot of light and will need proper placement and acclimation.

I just wanted to say thanks and show you guys some pics of my coral under the new lights. The last 2 pics are before the new lights.

Attachments

• image-3922934271.jpg
    image-3922934271.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2112384647.jpg
    image-2112384647.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2355985880.jpg
    image-2355985880.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2393872574.jpg
    image-2393872574.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3279017730.jpg
    image-3279017730.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 79
Here is the full tank.

Attachments

• image-616859661.jpg
    image-616859661.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 81
Looking good. What percentage are you starting them at?

Back
Top Bottom