Best lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need 2. They are basically the same as the ones I posted the link to earlier in this thread, except these aren't dimmable and they cost more.

I am all for DIY (I DIY'ed my entire setup except for my current LED lights), but almost every DIY LED lighting system I saw looks like a frankenstein project with wires and drivers hanging out all over the place. If you don't mind that type of look, go for it.

If you want a more "finished" look, I highly recommend buying an LED system, but you will be hard pressed to find anything for less than $300 for a 4' tank.

These are very popular, but use only blue and white LED's. I use similar lights over my 125 and can grow and keep anything. 2 units will run you right around $300.
2 Dimmable 120W Marine Organism Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank LED Lamp White US | eBay

The next step up is a more full spectrum LED setup. These look real nice and they are what I would get now and would have bought when I got my LED's...but they were not available back then. They will run you a little over $400 for 2 units.
120W LED Full Spectrum Coral Reef Light 55 x 3W Bridgelux LED Brand New | eBay

This one.

So the first one will work for any coral and you are 100% sure of that.

Did you see the pics I posted of my lights and my tank? If so, judge for yourself. ;)
Just remember, being able to successfully keep and GROW corals is more than just having the proper lighting.

I was just wondering because you said you have something like it not exact.

The only difference I can see between my lights are the ones on Ebay are mine are not dimmable. That feature was not available when I got mine. They appear to use the same diodes (Bridgelux 3w driven at 2w) and the same amount of whites and blues.

Oh ok thanks I really appreciate it so do u have nems in your tank couldn't tell from pic.

Really? Do you know what an anemone looks like?
fts_11-26-12.jpg

Ok now I see it I must a have been blind the first time lol.

Wheres it at u still dont see it. Possibly to the far right if so it is hard to see.

CcCapt.

How long did it take for your corals to adjust? I have the dimmable model and my SPS and LPS seem to hate the actinics if I turn them up. The softies have no I'll affect. I never had this many issues with MH or T5s.

Before I switched to LED's I used 3 x 175w, Iwasaki 15K metal halides, one of the highest PAR output MH bulbs available. My corals had no adjusting to do.

I have corals which came from T5 systems. I am running the lights at very low just to keep them happy.

I have a marinele and double bright how should I do it.

Marineland double bright fixtures are super low powered so your issue will be in having enough light. They can probably grow very low light stuff like zoas, palys and mushrooms.

I meant how would I acclimate them to the light when I change them.

Oh! I'd put the lights very low at first, like 10%. Wait a week and bump it to 15%, wait another week or two and keep going until it's right for your corals. Many people don't run them over 40% on smaller tanks or 60% even on large tanks. Only tall tanks with mostly SPSs will usually need them set very high.

Back
Top Bottom