Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fitting that I have an aquarium!
Red face Best option for power failure?

Hello,

I did a search on this but came up short. My electrical utility has scheduled a 10 hour shut off. I'm trying to figure out my best option for a small 50 g tank. I know I could rent a generator, but would rather buy something so I have a back up in place should there ever be a protracted unscheduled failure, when there will be a run on generators.

Generators are very expensive - at least the ones on line at Home Depot. Is there another option - battery-based, perhaps?

I have a pump, a skimmer, a heater and lights. I could do without the skimmer and the lights for 10 hours.

Ideas?

Thank you.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Xantrex PowerSource 400, and wrap your tank (all sides, and top) with blankets. Leave lights/skimmer off.

Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) questions

Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fitting that I have an aquarium!
what I ended up doing....

I bought the Duracell back up battery. It has the same capacity as the Xantrex, is lighter and cheaper, and, get this - it's manufactured by Xantrex. After a lot of price shopping, Amazon had the cheapest price. I used it for the scheduled power outage (all went well), and it kicked in during a recent brief 1 1/2 hour outage we recently had. Good piece of mind. I also have a cheap $15 D battery-powered back up to use when the Duracell is being recharged (somewhere else).
Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 90min battery backup on the tanks and a 2500w gene out in the shed just incase.

Tags
battery back up, electrical back up, generator, power outage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com