Best place to mount a filter sock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm planning to make a ledge the water can flow over ad mounting the socks inside of it. I plan to have two mounted down it so the water will flow threw it an into the next chamber. Anyway, is best to have it mounted before or after the skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could go any/eitherway.
Most do prefilter before ps pump in some form,but it is not always necessary.
What skimmer?
Where will it fit in your sump?

I like the filter sock as the first thing the water hits when it enters the sump. It will keep the sump cleaner this way. Otherwise you may have to vacuum it on occasion.

Well I've been digging around the interweb an looking at various skimmers and my long term plan for my tank when I found a eshoppes-75 in sump in sale. I jumped on this sale as of I'm not going to heavily stock this tank for awhile, not until it matures for a year at least, an around that time Is when I'll be upgrading my skimmer anyway as I can devote the majority of my cash to a high quality skimmer an a few other extras I've had my eyes on.

Alright anyway, my finial sump design is that the water will be pumped in at the bottom of chamber about 2in wide so that as it rises it reduces any Mirco bubbles in it, I also have quite a bit of cement rings an bio balls lying around so I will probably toss some of them in also.Then when the water overflows the chamber, it will flow over a slab of acrylic ( sorta like a table) where I'll have two filter socks mounted side by side. In the end of this slab there will be an inch high piece if acrylic incase something gets blocks an it overflows. So after the filter socks the water will flow into my main sump compartment with will be roughly 9-12in wide so I upgrade easier in the future. Then the water will go through a bubble trap an into my fuge which will take up the rest of the tank, except for the chamber for my sump pump. I plan to load my fuge up with rubble rock and cheeto, along with various types of pods. I would post a pic of my design but I've reach my photo limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicr

You are still going to have to clean those bio balls and ceramic rings regularly, or you are going to have a detritus buildup. I think it's a bad idea. The filter socks take out most of the bubbles anyway.

Okay, I'll just skip adding them. Everything else seem good?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would run the pipes right into the filter socks. Skip all that coming up from underneath and waterfalls...water leaves the dt, and hits the socks, then into the next chamber...and the next if need be, then a bubble trap, then the return. Easy Peasy.

Back
Top Bottom