Best Power Filter for a 29 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you were getting a new power filter for a 29 gallon tank, what would you get considering price, noise levels, and effectiveness?

I'm currently considering these 3 (but other suggestions would be helpful, too):
--Aquaclear 300 Power Filter. $21.49 @ Big Al's.
--Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter 330. $19.99 @ Big Al's.
--Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter 350. $27.99 @ Drs. Foster and Smith.

Depends. If this were a fish only tank I would choose the Penguin or an equivelant Emperor filter. If this were a planted tank I would go with the Aquaclear. As far as the size of the Penguin I dont think youll gain anything by going with the 350 over the 330. The 330 still has plenty of flow for a 29 gallon tank and anything more would be noisier, and unnecessary, but it wouldnt hurt anything. Its all up to you.

Do you think one of the Aquaclear 300 and the Penguin 330 is noticably quieter than the other?

Also, is the quality of filtration much different?

Im going to say that the Penguin is going to be louder than the Aquaclear filter, although I dont have them side by side next to me to tell. I do have an Aquaclear 200 running in one tank and an Aquaclear 150 running in another about 6 feet away from me and they are silent as long as the water level is high enough. My computer is behind a door directly next to me and I can hear it over the fish tanks. They have never been a problem for noise.

I use only Emperors, Aquaclears, and 1 Penguin on all my tanks, and I especially like the Emperors and Aquaclears. My Emperors and Penguin are much louder than my Aquaclears, which doesn't make any difference to me but it sounds like it does to you. :mrgreen: I use an Aquaclear 300 on my planted 29 gallon and it works great, I would recommend it. There are no cartridges to change like there are in the Penguins. I just rinse my sponge out in old tankwater about once a month during PWCs, you don't really have to change the sponge. It also comes with "Biomax", these little ceramic rings to help your bio filtration. HTH :D

Thanks for all of your help. I decided to go with the Aquaclear 300. Noise was a fairly big factor for me, so that tipped the scales. I also like how versatile the media basket for the Aquaclear seems. Now I'm just waiting for Big Al to ship it to me.

Back
Top Bottom