Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Best Powerhead..?

i have a 55gal freshwater aquarium with cichlids, i have an emperor 400 marineland filter and i would like a marineland ph to match or any brand really, thanks in advance guys!
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
I have a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 and honestly am not that impressed. I didn't buy it for my main tank, though; I use it as a circulation pump in my saltwater mixing bucket. For pure utility, yes, it works. But it's big, and a helluva lot noisier than my Koralia Nano 425s that I have in my tank.
__________________

__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
I have a Marineland Maxi-Jet 400 and honestly am not that impressed. I didn't buy it for my main tank, though; I use it as a circulation pump in my saltwater mixing bucket. For pure utility, yes, it works. But it's big, and a helluva lot noisier than my Koralia Nano 425s that I have in my tank.
really? i kinda saw that coming, when i first saw one, i thought to myself holy crap this is tiny! i still dont know the rule of thumb on GPH rating versus tank size.. anyone..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
erikmoseley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,265
I use 2 of the aqueon 500 pumps one at each end and angled downward one towards front and one towards back and they keep a good current and don't let anything settle on my sand. Had the 950 and its a monster. Too much flow. They're not huge but not small and are silent and easy to clean. Here's their site. Can get at any chain store. In pic u can see them

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...tion-pumps.htm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2112563975.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	178557  
__________________
erikmoseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post
I use 2 of the aqueon 500 pumps one at each end and angled downward one towards front and one towards back and they keep a good current and don't let anything settle on my sand. Had the 950 and its a monster. Too much flow. They're not huge but not small and are silent and easy to clean. Here's their site. Can get at any chain store. In pic u can see them

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...ion-pumps.htm.
but what kind of filter system are you using..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
erikmoseley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,265
Canister. Ohhhh are you looking to use w an under gravel? If so what substrate and what sort of fish?
__________________
erikmoseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post
Canister. Ohhhh are you looking to use w an under gravel? If so what substrate and what sort of fish?
no i have an marineland emperor 400 hob filter, its on the right side of the tank with good circulation, but my left side is very still, so im looking for a good ph im looking into the hydor koralia 750, anyone wanna chime in, any experience with these..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
I love my 425s, and will be adding a 550 to my FW tank (which has 2 penguin 200 HOBs).
__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
I love my 425s, and will be adding a 550 to my FW tank (which has 2 penguin 200 HOBs).
425 what..? were getting a little off topic guys lol i want a good ph for my tank and where should i put it in the tank and where should it be pointed..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dmolavi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sewell, NJ
Posts: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

425 what..? were getting a little off topic guys lol i want a good ph for my tank and where should i put it in the tank and where should it be pointed..?
Koralia 425...the little brother of the one you mentioned.
__________________

__________________
20 gallon nano-reef torn down to make way for the 40B Reef (original thread and current update).
dmolavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.