BEST protein skimmer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

porcelaindoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 gallon saltwater tank and I want to know from all of you out there, what is the best protein skimmer to keep my nitrates low?, or at least the top 5? I need it to fit in my sump so keep that in mind. I don't care how much it cost I just want something that is exceptional! :)

http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RAC01171&click=2 The AquaC EV series is one of the best IMO . It was definately out of my budget.

The AquaC Remora Pro with Mag5 Is one of the favorites (EV is nicer). I have a AquamedicTurboflotor1000 Multi I paid 199.99(good deal) I know that those 2 are most likely in the top5 because of price and functionality The TurboFlotorMulti is huge and will work in a sump or even better on the outside of the sump but I am sure there are others out there with a smaller footprint

Octopus Extreme MSX200 These just came out and are getting great reviews. They perform as good or better than some of the top shelf $600+ skimmers.

Don't expect a protein skimmer by itself, no matter how good it is, to keep your nitrates low. There are many factors which can cause high nitrate and skimming will help, but it will not keep nitrates down without any other maintainence.

thanks for the reply. yes, I know I still have to do regular water changes. :) I bought the Eco-aqualizer. it is supposed to reduce water changes up to 75% but it's still being "tested" in my tank right now.......

yes, actually I did. and I have yet to find anyone that has actually tried it, only "testimonials" and people arguing back and forth over whether the chemistry makes any sense. *shrugs* so I figured the only way to see is to try it for myself and I did b/c it was a free offer. so far I'm not impressed. :/

Glad you checked into it first. I remember all the hype/controversy a few years ago when that thing first came out. All that magnetic field and passive IR radiation or whatever they claim always made me think of the flux-capacitor from Back To The Future....lol. I guess they still have the 90 or whatever day money back guarantee?

Aqua C EV gets my vote too.

Edited: Wow!!! Asked and then bought one within an hour? Hope you do well.

Let us know how the set up goes. With pics!!!

yeah, they actually have a 180 day money back guarantee now, but after using it for only 1 month, I have decided to return it. they claim it will reduce water changes by up to 75% and that it will prevent your fish from getting sick and I have fish right now with a slight case of fungus and my nitrates continued to rise even when they claim it will prevent this to some degree. *shrugs* I will continue with good old fashioned water changes. oh...and a new and improved skimmer. :)

Ok im lost what exactly is a ECO-Aqualizer. I do not understand could we explain to me like I am in kindergarden. In Lamens terms what does it do. The link that was posted didn't make any sense

Well my money is on a Euro-Reef. I don't have one personally but if I could afford the one that I want that is what I would get. I have an ASM G4X recirculating skimmer and am very pleased with it. BTW Octopus skimmers are the new name for the ASMs.

Ok im lost what exactly is a ECO-Aqualizer.
That's the question....lol. Basically the thing is a tube with magnets that supposedly magnetically charges the water and somehow disrupts the molecular structure. It came out a few years ago. This thread from reefs.org might be a little easier to follow.

my personal opinion of the ECO-Aqualizer, (having actual experience with it) is that it's CRAP. glad it was free to try it. it's funny, when I called their customer service line to let them know I was returning it, (of course the guy had to try to back up it's claim) he said that it wasn't meant to help keep nitrates down, yet they claim it will reduce water changes dramatically. so I said well that's the whole point of a water change, is to keep the nitrates down (besides replenishing trace elements) he claims that it's okay to have your nitrates at 140ppm as long as it’s not a reef tank. lol. anyone here agree with that? I also didn't notice any difference in my water being clearer which is a big thing they claim it will do is give you "crystal clear water".

I know I'm probably too late, but I have been very pleased with my Reef Devil Deluxe with the MAG 7 drive. I have had it for over 2 years and has worked very well. The only thing is you have to maintain a consistent water top off level in the sump to be the most effective. The best part is being able to run a hose from the collection cup to an empty milk jug to prevent over flowing. That's my .02 cents. :cool:

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom