Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Oh certainly, no rush. I just forget I dont need to buy all the equipment right away - I have at least several weeks of cycling before I have to get some things. I think I may go for the octupus skimmer. Any other suggestions certainly welcome, too.

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have an AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 Multi on my 46g bow. I got it for 199.99 here Protein Skimmers,ASM,Red Sea,Aquamedic,Deltec,ETS,ETSS,HSA,prizm,CPR I shopped around for 6weeks to find the best price. It can be a hang on back or in sump or hang on sump Just about anyway you can imagine. It is rather big and isnt the prettiest skimmer but does an amazing job once you get past the break in period.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I had the Turboflotor 1000 Multi in the sump of my 125. It worked well but I ended up selling it for a custom made PS. I would recommend the 1000 multi. It works great but does take some tweaking.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

what kind of tweaking are you talking about? Mine is in shipping right now. Do you guys have any pics you can post on the hang on mode?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I like the needle wheel skimmers. Coral Life makes some goodies that accomodate a lot of different sized tanks for around $100. I have had them acting as both hang on the back and in sump. Believe it or not, they are more effective strapped on the back. They skim well, giving a nice rich motor oil consistency with little maintenance. I get about a cup and a half a week of skimmate. Good discount skimmer
Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiNpHRaMe View Post
what kind of tweaking are you talking about? Mine is in shipping right now. Do you guys have any pics you can post on the hang on mode?
When I first got it I couldn't get it to stop overflowing. I added a ball valve to control the flow a bit until after it broke in. And you have to mess around with the screw caps to get the right flow. And also put the tall extender in until it is consistent then go to the short extender. I added 1" vinyl tubing to the outlet box and directed the flow directly into the water to minimize the noise It is totally silent now.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

There are two screw caps that contriol the amount of flow. You need to turn one or the other to adjust it.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

very cool, im gonna have to tube mod it for sure. When in hang-on mode, is it very tall? Does anyone have pics? I dont have a traditional sump.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com