best protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleParr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would invite comments on which people think are the best protein skimmers:
1. Aqua C remora
2. Bak-Pak
3. Red Sea Prizm
4. Corallife Super Skimmer needle wheel
5. Via Aqua Multi Skimmer

I'd like to reopen this topic and see if we can get some more comments. I have a 46-gallon that I am buying a skimmer for, and right now I am trying to decide between the Remora and the Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel. I know the Remora may be better, but it is also a LOT more expensive. The Coralife is closer to my budget range, what are people's opinions about it?

Paul

pkremer said:
I'd like to reopen this topic and see if we can get some more comments. I have a 46-gallon that I am buying a skimmer for, and right now I am trying to decide between the Remora and the Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel. I know the Remora may be better, but it is also a LOT more expensive. The Coralife is closer to my budget range, what are people's opinions about it?

Paul

I'm not sure if my vote count since I just started out with a 46 Gal myself, but I got the Remora Pro with the Mag3 Pump and think it's probably overkill for this tank. I'm just starting my cycle, so the thing has only be running a week and it pulling some "yuck" from the tank, but the Pump is HUGE in my 46 Bowfront and it sounds like a Vortex Engine or Super Sucking Vaccuum...

I kinda wish I'd gotten the Remora with MJ1200 instead.

SW2

unfortunetely, this is an expensive hobby to do it right... my view is, i don't wanna burn out of this hobby anytime soon from frustration and end up selling everything that i've paid good dollar for and throw away all the time i've invested into researching it... so, I buy the stuff that I know will work well from the many great reviews. I've spent 5 x the amount I ever wanted to just because I felt I wanted to do it right for longevity sake.

I'd honestly save a little more and go with the remora.... you won't find a bad review about it. It costs more cause it works better. That's what I use for my 46G bow, and I've gone thru all the stress about buyin' a skimmer as well.... it's frustrating, i know, but you'll be happiest with the remora if you can swing it.

Check Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AquaC-Remora-Wi...746070885QQcategoryZ46313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,
Ryan

I recently bought a SeaClone 100 off eBay for about $70. Seems to work great. Lots of nasty looking skimmate, practically dark brown muck. Took some time to get it tuned correctly though.

I'm in the same boat as SuperWade... same tank and skimmer and pump. Man that pump is huge! Does anyone have pictures of this thing installed? I wasn't sure which way to angle the pump in the tank. Debating buying a larger flex hose, so I can hang the thing behind the rocks somehow. :eek: It's not as loud as I thought it would be, will see how much crud it pulls out.

p.s. Anyone need a pre-skimmer box? LOL, that thing is 1/4 the size of my tank. :) Not really..... but it's HUGE!

Vanphyre said:
I'm in the same boat as SuperWade... same tank and skimmer and pump. Man that pump is huge! Does anyone have pictures of this thing installed? I wasn't sure which way to angle the pump in the tank. Debating buying a larger flex hose, so I can hang the thing behind the rocks somehow. :eek: It's not as loud as I thought it would be, will see how much crud it pulls out.

p.s. Anyone need a pre-skimmer box? LOL, that thing is 1/4 the size of my tank. :) Not really..... but it's HUGE!

I was thinking the same thing (longer tube between the pump and skimmer)... I'd have to believe the Mag3 is strong enough to pump the water up an extra 6 inches or so. I'd rather see a tube down to a spot below my "Rock" line than this Larger than a Rubix Cube sized pump...

I have actually had to unplug mine in the evening so I could watch TV at a low enough volume to not wake up my sleeping children (my Aquarium is in my Living room).

I'll have more info on this in a few days since I just got my super skimmer from liveaquaria yesterday and haven't had a chance to get it going yet. Setting up a new tank now and the only thing holding me up at this point is waiting for the silicone to cure in my sump where I put the baffles in. I can say this though, in looking at the super skimmer I don't think I would want to use it in HOB mode. It's pretty big. I can't compare size to the Remora as I haven't seen one. More on how it works in a few days...

Aqua C wins hands down, IMO. I've had a Seaclone and a BakPak. Both ended up in the trash after I bought my Aqua C. Excellent skimmer!

Back
Top Bottom