Best pumping options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those who don't know, I mix my own water for my tanks. I fill 3 5-gallon jugs with store-bought ro water, and put all that water into a big plastic tub, add the required salts and other additives, and let it mix with a small powerhead and warm up a bit with a small heater.

I currently use a small powerhead to mix the water and then pump it back into the 5-gallon containers using a hose attached to the output. I then lift the containers to dump water into the tank.

I want some kind of pump that's strong enought to pump water out of the plastic tub and directly into the tank. It also needs to be something inexpensive, since I'll only be using it for water changes. What are my options?

I use a powerhead. A MaxiJet 1200 works great going from my container to my sump. Might need something a little stronger if you need to get up to the tank.

Blueline 40HD return pump is rated at 720gph at 4'. Overkill for water changes. I would think that a Hagen AquaClear Powerhead Model 70 would do it.

I'm doing a water change this weekend and I'll try a Hagen 802 (same model as the newer model 70) from the container to the tank.
Look for a New Years post from me :lol:

Salt is stirred (not shaken), heated and powerhead moving things around. I picked up a 10' section of 5/8 clear tubing this morning and all is ready for tomorrow's water change. Good thing I'm going out tonight instead of having people here. Never know what might end up in that container. 8O

Never know what might end up in that container.

LOL, "If you have to spew, spew into this"

Yeah, if you can let me know if that worked it would be great. Thanks for the help guys.

I also use an MJ1200 for a water change pump. It's all you need to pump from a bucket up to the tank. Hard to beat at about $20 too.

Yep, works fine. Not too fast at 4' head height. Had to plus the venturi air hole. This is an old unit that's been retired so I'm sure a new one will work fine.

I didn't try with a MJ1200, but if that works it would be cheaper by half.

Yeah, it probably takes about 4 minutes to empty a 5g bucket if I'm going up into the tank. I pump the new water into the sump in all my tanks except the puffer tank...it doesn't have one. I'm usually doing something else while the water is pumping too. If you wanted something faster, I'd say a Mag 5 would do well. When I do water changes at the eyecare center, I use a Mag 18. I'm pumping through about 100' of hose and close to 5' high though.

Back
Top Bottom