Best Pumps/Filtration for Freshwater Cichlid Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Militarybooks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All.

I am new on this site and would like some expert advice. I used to keep a 135-gal Cichlid tank 20 years ago for many years, and did so successfully. Between moves and career changes, I got away from the hobby but am ready to renew my love of Cichlids, etc.

I just acquired a 135-gallon tank (zero accessories) and was wondering what you recommend for pumps and filtration. I never overload my tanks with fish, and am NOT planning on having any BIG fish. The largest might be 5 inches or so.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance.

--tps

if you like hang on the back filters go with aquaclear 110's or if you like canisters then fluval 405 or the new 406 would be nice... one for each half of the tank. eheim makes great canister filters too.

if you want flow in the tank i used a koralia 1400 in my cichlid tank towards the end of it.

if you like hang on the back filters go with aquaclear 110's or if you like canisters then fluval 405 or the new 406 would be nice... one for each half of the tank. eheim makes great canister filters too.

if you want flow in the tank i used a koralia 1400 in my cichlid tank towards the end of it.

Thanks a lot. I had used back hanging filters15 years ago with an undergravel, but it looks like undergravel are no longer "the thing," and that canisters seem the way to go. Do you think canisters with UV lights in the canister (in addition to the other filter media, etc. are important?

IME UV lights are a patch like chemicals, it may stop algae growth but it won't fix the real problem. Useful for ponds where too much light causes algae. IMO go with a canister filter for 50 gallons and up. I have two Fluval 403's I bought 20 years ago they still work fine.

Yep. Like he said. Good husbandry will go a long way. I run my filters with only the mechanical filtration that came with them and then I fill them up with biological media. That is just how I do it though.

Thing with canister filters is that they are nice and efficient, but can become a chore to clean regularly. The easier something is the more we will do it. That said I still use them.

I use canister, and HOB on my larger tanks. I like the Rena XP-3 canister filters. They do a great job, and are very simple to service. My preferrence for Hang On Back filters are the Aquaclears. Terrific filters!!

I use canister, and HOB on my larger tanks. I like the Rena XP-3 canister filters. They do a great job, and are very simple to service. My preferrence for Hang On Back filters are the Aquaclears. Terrific filters!!

Thanks All. So as to the name brand of canister . . . I have been reading a lot and the Rena does seem to get high marks. Other than size, does anyone have a distinct preference for a brand (FLuval, Cascade, Rena, Marine, etc.) and WHY.

Learning a lot on this forum. Thanks a ton.

tps

I have Marineland Magnum Canisters on both of my tanks (28g and 65g), and they do work well. They are just a pain in the butt to clean! I also wish there was more room in them to add additional bio-media. Whenever I get a larger aquarium, I will be going the wet/dry route. The Canisters just don't seem as efficient to me.

i use fluval because its what the store sold almost exclusively. its been trouble free for the 2 years ive owned. i was impressed enough with performance and price enough to buy more. ive read lots of people praise the eheim and rena.

I have Marineland Magnum Canisters on both of my tanks (28g and 65g), and they do work well. They are just a pain in the butt to clean! I also wish there was more room in them to add additional bio-media. Whenever I get a larger aquarium, I will be going the wet/dry route. The Canisters just don't seem as efficient to me.

Magnums are a pain to service, I agree fully. And the flow rate, and extra media capabilities are extremely limited. I had one for about 6 months, and then gave it away. Not a great filter in my personal opinion.

Thx. I have been doing a lot of reading, and assuming the canister does what it is advertised to do, then QUIET is a special concern since this will be in my living room, which is very formal, so the last thing I want is a noisy filter. So any experience in that realm is appreciated.

(It seems odd to me that some brands advertise how quiet they are and other mention it . . . not at all.)

tps

Thx. This tank will be in the front of the house in a formal living room, so assuming the canister does what it is advertised to do, QUIET is really important. Any thoughts/experience there? (It is odd that some advertise how quiet they are, but others are silent on the subject.)

tps

I have 2 large tanks in my living room, with 2 XP-3's on each tank, and they are absolutely silent. Mine are under the tank in a cabinet stand.

Do you guys/gals thinks one Rena XPXL (450 gph), is sufficient for a 135-gallon tank, or do I need two units, and if I need two, what sizes would you recommend?

Thx in advance.

--tps

Back
Top Bottom