Best refractometer under $50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to purchase a refractometer and was hoping for some suggestions

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've heard good things of the eBay ones as well. You just want to calibrate it more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used refractometer before. It will be accurate only if it is calibrated properly. If you notice the graduation is just too small. I am not sure why would it be considered as accurate when you can hardly see where exactly the reading falls into. The most important thing in reef keeping is not to deviate too much from its parameter. IMO as long as you use the same salinity equipment and keep the same readings on both, it is all that matter. I now use the regular salinity tester.

I have used refractometer before. It will be accurate only if it is calibrated properly. If you notice the graduation is just too small. I am not sure why would it be considered as accurate when you can hardly see where exactly the reading falls into. The most important thing in reef keeping is not to deviate too much from its parameter. IMO as long as you use the same salinity equipment and keep the same readings on both, it is all that matter. I now use the regular salinity tester.
If you cant see exactly where the line on the refractometer is then you're either not focusing it properly, bought a bad brand, got a faulty one, or have very bad eyes.

The refractometer I bought off eBay has a crisp well defined level on it and hasn't needed to be recalibrated since I bought it a year and a half ago. Couldn't be happier.. especially since it cost about $25

By regular salinity tester do you mean hydrometer?

If you cant see exactly where the line on the refractometer is then you're either not focusing it properly, bought a bad brand, got a faulty one, or have very bad eyes.

The refractometer I bought off eBay has a crisp well defined level on it and hasn't needed to be recalibrated since I bought it a year and a half ago. Couldn't be happier.. especially since it cost about $25

By regular salinity tester do you mean hydrometer?

So what refractometer do you recommend?

If the funds ever come your way, Milwaukee makes a great refractometer. Digital for 100 bucks. I've never had to recalibrate, though I have tested to ensure and done it anyway. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom