Best Return Pump For Your $$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterNuB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Rio 2100, but unfortunately it won't be enough. I'm thinking about getting a Catalina 3k or 4k. Thought and suggestions?

Mag pumps are always highly recommended. They are good balance of quality and price. A comparable pump to the Catalina 3K would be the Mag 9.5.
Mag-Drive Supreme 9.5 Pump - 950GPH - Bulk Reef Supply

I personally run an eheim. They are about the quietest commonly available pump, and are German made. The Germans make the best pumps in the world! :) The 1262 would be a comparable pump to the Catalina 3K.
Eheim 1262 Universal Pump - Bulk Reef Supply

I know both of these options are considerably more than the Catalina, but in this hobby you often get what you pay for - and your return pump is a crucial piece of equipment. It needs to run reliably, produce as little heat as possible, and often quiet is a desirable characteristic. Catalina has some OK products, but they are not known for their pumps. I would stick with Mag Drive or Eheim - in my opinion.

Those are the responses that I'm looking for. My lfs suggested the Catalina... IMO I would use my rio over the Catalina. I'll look into the mag. I've heard great things about those.

What size tank, and what size overflows?

When in doubt, go a size up. You can always restrict the return with a gate or ball valve. So long as you are restricting the return side and not the intake side, it will not have any detrimental effect on the pump.

I'm not sure the size of overflows. I have 2 that I plan on running. My tank is 135g fowlr.

image-351169802.jpg

They have 1.5" openings in bottom.

Attachments

• image-251614490.jpg
    image-251614490.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 70
I'm looking into them now. Kind of off the subject; when I plumb both of my overflows, should they be 2 separate lines with their own filter socks, or T somewhere and only have 1 filter sock?

Either way is acceptable. If you t them they need to feed a larger pipe so as not to restrict flow.

Eheim compact 5000 is good

It all depends on head height how far you are pushing water

I run 2 x 18,000 lph and 1 x 30,000 lph

One of the 18,000 lph pumps has to push water about 10 ft so I only get about 10,000 lph out of that pump

This is a good point - head height makes a big difference. I was assuming a head height of around 4-5 feet.

I will be pushing water 4-5 feet. If I T both lines can they be 1" then bump up to 1.5" after T? Of should I just run 1.25" all the way to T and after T?

What you also need to remember with T is you will also need flow valve adjusters as water will go to the shortest point so you will have strong flow from the shortest pipe and slow from the longest

So you need a valve on the shortest to slow it to the same speed as the longest pipe

I have 4 x 50 mm drains on mine and it handles the flow I mentioned easy

Yeah I'll probably throw a valve on all lines. For adjustments and security purposes. Y can't I just run 1" again?

Back
Top Bottom