Best RO/DI Unit Under $200?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I'm moving to a house, and it's well water, so I've finally broken down and decided to spend my cash and get an RO/DI unit. I've seen several, and don't want to spend more than about $200 (enough expenses moving right now). What do people use/suggest?

If your on a well....I would expect you'll be using a 30/50 pressure switch on your well (that's what is most common down here) and I would recommend you figure in the cost of a booster pump :mrgreen:

The ones on ebay are a nice cost-effective solution, but I have one warning:

The auto-shutoff ... yeah, doesn't work so well. I've read others say the same thing. I'll be sitting there, minding my own business, doing some homework, and I hear trickling water. It's the stupid unit just randomly dripping a little tiny bit of water. Only cost me $100, so I'll get an expensive (nice!) one in the future, but it works for now. I've read you can buy an auto-shutoff to replace the one it comes with. I think loganj had/has one, so I'll have to ask him about that.

I'm curious still: what's it usually, for when I feel it an absolute necessity to upgrade mine? And then I'll stop jacking the post. :)

Go with the Barracuda. Sure, you can get a cheaper unit from Ebay, but it won't come with the customer support that the Aqua FX unit will. This unit comes with a pressure gauge already installed and an inline TDS meter so you can check system performance at a glance. Darin is offering a great deal in this system too...I know what they cost and you can't beat $189.99 for a unit of this caliber.

i got mine from aqua safe marine on ebay. tok me 25 min and not one single leak. mine was $125. the instructions are very detailed and i know absolutely nothing about plumbing

HTH

mark

I kinda like the clear containers on the baracuda, seems like a better plan. I'm not moving into the house until May 1, so I'll probably wait until I move in to order it.

Back
Top Bottom