Best skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking of getting a new skimmer I have had mine for years, it still works great but I think I need an update. So what is the best skimmer on the market right now for a 240g?

The best skimmers are supposed to be Bubble King skimmers, but the prices on those are just ridiculous. What size footprint can you fit?

22 inches square? Or 22 inches tall? The footprint is what I'm asking....the area in the sump you can commit to a skimmer.

If I ran an asm g-2 and an asm g-1 would I be sufficient? Because I have a g-2 running on it right now and I have a g-1 sitting around I just need a pump for it.

Define sufficient. All skimmers clean the water to an extent. The more air and water drawn in and mixed together along with how fine the bubbles are chopped makes one skimmer better than the next. Not to mention how much electric they use. That may or may not be part of the equation...depending on you.
That said, i've used a few of those ASM G series skimmers throughout the years and I have found much more efficient skimmers.
Ultimately, a G2 is nowhere near enough skimmer for a 240 gallon with a sump in my opinion. I had a G4x on my old 195, and I thought that was a bit underpowered.

I had a lot of skimmers in the past. The best one I have and so far was life reef skimmers they are custom made to order and the owner is amazing. If something breaks you send it to him and he will fix it for free. I am an avid supporter of Lifereef after I had a king bubbler break and when I called for help they simply didn't help me much, and their repair jobs sucked. If I were you I would check out Lifereef

A lot also depends on your budget

Bugdet is a huge issue on this topic
Been reading up on CADlights skimmers, They are expensive but the reviews on them seem to be really good
And they are great space savers with the pump located UNDER the skimmer

I personally am running a Bubble Magus Curve 7 and would recommend them to anyone. however I was reading the Marine Depot catalog the other day when I noticed that Reef Octopus now has a DC pump skimmer... with a digital controller. this allows us to control the power of the pump instead of messing with adjustment pipes (of course you can still fine tune with the pipe. )

looking back id buy one of these now if I could.
Reef Octopus Diablo DCS In-Sump Protein Skimmer

I've tried a few different skimmers over the last few years including eshopps,red sea,bubble magus and ended up with a mrc -2r recirculating skimmer ,it's extremely quiet,pulls out a ton of gunk,very reliable and not nearly as touchy sensitive as some of the ones I've seen.
Same basic principe as with the hydro and other recirculating skimmers just with with a larger motor ,... I think it's all going to boil down to your budget,your tank, where you want to install it wether it'll be in sump or out,overall footprint needed ,design features you like etc, there's a lot of good ones out there you just gotta push the right button for YOU.

So, in the end you want the most water and air intake and a needle wheel that chops the finest bubbles. Those factors, along with how much electricity they use will be what makes one skimmer better than another.

Back
Top Bottom