Best Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can some folks reply to this and give me brands of skimmers which in your experience are the best? I am considering replacing mine.

Thanks in advance.

Willem

I have the aquamedic turbofloater multi's and I like them alot. There are about as many favorites as there are brand names out there, so be ready for lots of opinions!

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize there were so many.

My lfs has a two different size Prizm hob models. Does anyone have experience with these? :?

Thanks.

Willem

i have the aquac remora pro, with mag 3, and it does an excellent job, never had a problem, and very easy to set up and maintain, best money i spent on my tank.

When I was looking into getting a skimmer, most people either said CPR Bak Pak 2 or the Aqua C Remora or Remora PRo. These are in the affordable category usually 100 - 200 dollars. If you watch ebay you can get yours for around 75 dollars like I did.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

What is the advantage of the high dollar ones, like the Euro-Reef's that cost twice as much? Do they last longer, skim better, take less maintenance? :?

Thanks again in advance.

Willem

Of the models mentioned thus far, the Turbo Floater is the better choice. The Euro reef skimmers are excellent as well. The main thing to consider when choosing a skimmer is tank volume, bioload and the performance of the skimmer to do that job. Ideally, something close to 2x the manufacturer rating is what will work best and also keep up with any upgrades/increased bioload you may add along the way. BakPaks are good for smaller tanks (25-40 gal) as are Remora Pro's (40-75 gal) but for a 90 gal, I would look for something with extra punch.

If you have a sump (can't remember) it will increase your options that much more. You will only end up being limited by the available height under the tank. If you do have a sump, this would be the best route...

Cheers
Steve

i just bought a Red Sea Turbo Hang on Skimmer for a 75 gal tank that i have yet to start. No sand or water has been added.

is this a good skimmer and where in the sump would i place the skimmer?

It's a decent enough skimmer for that tank size, you should do fine with it. It is designed to hang on the back of the tank or alternately sit in the sump. Depending on the size/chambers within the sump, you would want it somewhere in the middle. This will reduce/prevent microbubbles from entering the display tank via the return pump.

Cheers
Steve

Run away from those Prizm's. the larger one isn't too bad, but you can get a CPR bak-pak 2R online for the same price, or probably a whole lot less, than the prizm.

try www.amekaaquatics.com and look at the Factory Seconds section. That's what I did for mine, and I found no cosmetic blemishes, scuff marks, bubbles in the acryilc...nothing! it was mint

Back
Top Bottom