best small filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Little Depot the goldfish is outgrowing her tank and I'm getting a bigger tank in a week or so. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good filter that is small and simple? I'm in a dorm room so I don't want a big elaborate setup, and I'll probably change the water often anyway but I want a filter in the new tank. I have no knowledge of what types of filters are out there as I've never had one in with my fish but I know I don't want charcoal and cotton like my mom's tank has. Is there any other kind even?

Aqua Clear makes many filters for different sizes of tanks. You don't have to use carbon in the filter, you can use the sponge that comes with it and filter floss which is pure polyester batting. It can be purchased from walmart as pillow filling, as long as there are no additives in it. I have 2 of these filters and find them very easy to maintain and clean.

She's in a five gallon, I know its small for a goldfish but she was small enough until this year, I recently took her out of the pond. She's only in it in winter and then in a outdoor pond in summer. I think maybe just a longer tank, ten or twenty gallons.

For a 20 Gallon you might try a Penguin 150B Power Filter (Marineland), they are for the most part top of the line. Since it's a gold fish, I might suggest the 200 model insted since it's a little stronger of a filter. If you want to get a larger tank, I might suggest getting the larger 350 model. They are cheaper then the Tetra Whisper models you find in most Walmart and pet stores, and a lot more effective.

Here are some links for the Penguin 150B / Penguin 200B / Penguin 350B

As for tank. If you can afford it, I would suggest a 29 gallon tank. It will help keep the stress down, and you can LIGHTLY stock it with some friends for your goldfish year round.

No offense to CompMage, but I have another suggestion :) . While the Penguin filters work fine, for a little more money you can get better quality AquaClear filters as Zagz mentioned. It's always worth looking into. I would go for the AquaClear myself, and they seem to have a wider range of filters (not to mention cheaper media [at least where I live]). HTH

Online, the aquaclears are downright cheap. It has a pull out tray on the aquaclear mini. Sponge on the bottom, room for the porous biomedea, AC or floss above it. I have a AC mini on a 10 gal tank, its doing a great job. Small, but effective.

Oh, and adjustable water flow too!

Personally I would go with the 20 gallon tank and an AquaClear filter. I own a couple of Penguins and while they are perfectly adequate I prefer the media options that the AquaClear filters offer. You definitely want the best filtration possible since goldfish generate a lot of waste.

TomK2 said:
Online, the aquaclears are downright cheap. It has a pull out tray on the aquaclear mini. Sponge on the bottom, room for the porous biomedea, AC or floss above it. I have a AC mini on a 10 gal tank, its doing a great job. Small, but effective.

Oh, and adjustable water flow too!

Not just online! Just go to the Aquaclear HOB filters page on Petsmart.com and print it out. Take the page to your local Petsmart and they will price match in the store. That way you get the filter ASAP and you don't have to pay shipping. I did this 3 days ago and in my research I couldn't find anything cheaper (with shipping) online.

Ok ...diligently writing down brand names and models to check out. As for the actual tank, something cheap that holds water will do for me. I don't plan to buy anything online as that complicates things further. Thanks for suggestions everybody. Do you guys have any idea how many tank decorations I'm going to come out of the store with once I walk in!?!

Tell her it was necessary to keep the fish happy. Say this line to her: "You don't want me to be a fish abuser do you? The fish need this to stay happy! Do you want unhappy fish?!" Always worth a try. Also, you could compare your receipt to a recent one of hers (assuming she likes to shop and spend money as well). HTH, lol

It just depends on what you want, really.

I second the recommendation for the 29 gallon. It will give Depot more room, but has the same footprint as the 20 long. I got mine at Petsmart with hood and light included for about $70. You'll save a lot of money on the filter if you do what Fubie said. I always get Petsmart to price match stuff for me. They will match any price on the Petsmart website. If you go with the 20 gallon, I would get the Aquaclear 50 (200 gph). If you get the 29 gallon, go for the Aquaclear 70 (300 gph). I find that they do a better job if you leave out the carbon insert and just stack 2 of the foam blocks together, and then put the Biomax ceramic rings on top.

Back
Top Bottom