Best Sump and Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! I am trying to get an idea of what is some good quality equipment from experience, so when I DO get a saltwater fish only aquarium, I would like to be well prepared. Do not worry about the cost, I will consider all propositions. Also, if there are any brands I should stay away from, let me know.

So tell me about the best brands and sizes for a 55 gallon aquarium in:
Sumps
Protein Skimmer
UV Sterilizers
Lighting Systems

Thank you all soo much!

I really like my eshopps refugium sump and the eshopps skimmer I got. Sump is roomy enough and the refugium section is huge. The skimmer is skimming better than a reef octopus I have running so I'm sold on them.

I don't feel a UV is needed so I don't run one on any of my tanks. I have several tanks so I have several lighting fixtures. LOL The most reliable and best so far is the current nova extreme pro, solid fixture and I added premium bulbs so that setup is my favorite. :)

My advice would be to do as much research on your own in the form of customer reviews for each product (I always look at the negative reviews). Then after that, do a search on this forum for those products and see what folks are saying about them. Do plenty of research now, up front, and it will save you $ in the long run.

The very best skimmers available are Bubble King skimmers.
They are ridiculously priced however.
What makes a skimmer good is mostly the pump. The better the pump, the more air it pulls, the better waste removal you'll have. The entry level octo line are built well, with ok pumps. As you spend a little more and get their "super" or "pro" models, they bring better, more efficient pumps.

Swc protine skimmer top in my books , make a custom sump that fits your needs is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom