Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Best T5 bulb?

I bought a used 8-bulb fixture for my recently bought 95 gallon wave that I am setting up. The bulbs look like they came with the fixture when it was new, so I want to get new bulbs, so I know how old they are.

Main question, which are the best T5 bulbs? Should I just run 4 actinics, 4 whites, or are there other colors that would make my future corals look better?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out the ATI bulbs on bulk reef supply. A lot of other say they are really good

Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I prefer the ATI bulbs. I went with 6 aquablue specials (whites) and 6 blue plus for the actinics. You could use the new coral plus bulbs in place of the specials if you really like a blue hued tank. i think they are at about 14k or so spectrum while the specials are only 12k.
You can also throw in a KZ Fiji purple to kick things up a notch. Me, I tried the purples and didn't like it. lol
Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Carey/All,

I am fairly new to the hobby, and would like to learn more about lighting. I have a 72g bow with a few LPS corals and mushrooms. I want to move up to some soft corals and hopefully one day SPS corals. I presently have a 48" T5HO from from Coral life -4 bulbs. I plan to move to ATI bulbs based on all of the recommendations I have read. My questions: do the purple bulbs provide any additional value? Can I successfully use T5HO with any SPS corals or do I really need to go to MH?
If I am "high jacking" this thread I apologize.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can sucessfully keep any coral with t5's the same as metal halide. You just have to have a quality fixture and good bulbs.

As far as the purple bulbs, I don't think they really bring anything necessary to the party so if you don't want them you can just get whites and blues.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you

Tags
bulb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com