Best T5 bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a used 8-bulb fixture for my recently bought 95 gallon wave that I am setting up. The bulbs look like they came with the fixture when it was new, so I want to get new bulbs, so I know how old they are.

Main question, which are the best T5 bulbs? Should I just run 4 actinics, 4 whites, or are there other colors that would make my future corals look better?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I prefer the ATI bulbs. I went with 6 aquablue specials (whites) and 6 blue plus for the actinics. You could use the new coral plus bulbs in place of the specials if you really like a blue hued tank. i think they are at about 14k or so spectrum while the specials are only 12k.
You can also throw in a KZ Fiji purple to kick things up a notch. :) Me, I tried the purples and didn't like it. lol

Hi Carey/All,

I am fairly new to the hobby, and would like to learn more about lighting. I have a 72g bow with a few LPS corals and mushrooms. I want to move up to some soft corals and hopefully one day SPS corals. I presently have a 48" T5HO from from Coral life -4 bulbs. I plan to move to ATI bulbs based on all of the recommendations I have read. My questions: do the purple bulbs provide any additional value? Can I successfully use T5HO with any SPS corals or do I really need to go to MH?
If I am "high jacking" this thread I apologize.

You can sucessfully keep any coral with t5's the same as metal halide. You just have to have a quality fixture and good bulbs. :)

As far as the purple bulbs, I don't think they really bring anything necessary to the party so if you don't want them you can just get whites and blues.

Back
Top Bottom