Best T5's and Combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimbo7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased a Sundial T5-HO 4x39watt fixture but I think that the stock bulb are kinda sucky from what i read. What is everyone's favorite T5 manufacturer and what combo of their bulbs do you suggest? i have a lot of zoas, but also some birdsnest and stylapora (sp?) and a small acan colony.
TIA!

The use of a high quality parabolic reflector is much more important than the bulb.
What bulb comes with that fixture and what did you read about the bulb (rather than the fixture) that blames the bulb?

The Giesemann bulbs do get hight marks from what I've read.

Well the fixture i have has individual bulb reflectors which from what i understand are the best? The fixture came with Current USA Slimpaqs and i dont remember exactly where i saw the review about the bulbs. I will try and find the link a bit later, i have to get ready for prom at the moment :tgv:

So how was the prom? Hope you had a GREAT time!

Individual reflectors that are rectangular don't give anywhere near the performance of individual parabolic reflectors. The Sundial has Individually contoured reflectors, but I have been unable to verify if they are parabolic (rounded) or rectangular. As you have the fixture you should be able to tell by looking at the reflectors. This is what it should look like...

Attachments

• normal.png
    normal.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 91
I shot off an email to Current about their "individual reflectors" and here is their response:
"[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Dear Scott,

I attached a photo of what the reflector looks like. These are not true “individual” reflectors – it is a single reflector that is bent to contour each individual lamp.
Their really is not much of a difference between a parabolic and contoured reflector.
Hopefully the photo will clear things up.
Sincerely,
Ike"

So I am not sure if parabolic is better and they are just saying that so I would buy their brand as opposed to the Tek system.
[/FONT]

He went camping after prom with a bunch of his friends. I went up and looked at his fixture out of curiosity and they are individual reflectors but they aren't truly parabolic. The are shaped kinda like this.

Attachments

• bulb.bmp
    122.1 KB · Views: 84
From my understanding, if it's not a true parabolic the next best shape is a bulb placed in the middle of a W shaped reflector. The reflector you have is just slightly better than a flat back reflector. I am not an expert but did quite a bit of reading when T5's started becoming popular a couple of years ago. There was quite a discusson on another forum about them and how the reflector made all the difference. There is like a 300% increase in light reaching the tank between a parablic reflector and a flat back reflector.

Scott is the photo that Current sent you similar to the pattern that Pat posted?

TEK is probably one of the better options for T5s. They use a parabolic reflector and I use Giesemann bulbs on my TEK T5.

I just purchased a 34 gallon with 24" GLO Dual T5 HO 2 x 24W Lighting System by Hagen
For bulbs used one Actinic+ and one Midday T5 Lamps by Giesemann

Back
Top Bottom