Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Best type of filter

What is the best type of filter for a FW tank. Canister or Power?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on how large the tank is, what you have for fish, how often you want to maintain it, how much money you want to spend...

Personally I live having a canister AND a power filter. It gives the best of both worlds, and if one filter dies the tank will be fine with the other.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 20 gallon tank with one gold fish and plan to add more.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, in a 20g tank, you can add one more Goldfish and the bio load will still be pretty high so keep that in mind. An AquaClear 300 would be a good choice, easy to clean and will catch a lot of waste.

A canister might work out better in the long run with the Goldfish, but maintenence will be a bit more difficult. Something like a Fluval 204 or 304, Rena XP2, Eheim 2215 would all be good. The canister would hold more media, and be better for bio.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't add another Goldie to that 20 gal, I wouldn't add anything to that 20 gal... That tank is minimal for a adult Goldie, IMO Goldies need atleast 15-20 gal per fish and I know alot of folks that say a Goldie needs atleast 50 gal per fish.
As for filtration, I agree with the AC300 (I believe they now list as AC30), and with the new Bio-max media Hagen/AC is using they are even better Bio-Filters than they were before. I also put Chem-Stars in my two AC500's and have modified them with Bio-wheels for my 75 gal Oscar/Plec tank... AC500's on steriods 8O !!!
The AC300 and other similar HOB power filters have quite a output (create alot of current) and you'll want to mount as far to one side as possible so as to make a dead spot for your Goldie to rest in, that or break up the out flow with a screen of plants/structure.

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
You might want to consider the new Penguin 200B power filter. It offers plenty of filtration and you can add more media in the removable cartridge. Here is a link to where you can buy one.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

I haven't seen them on Marineland's website yet.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to say I love the Eheim 2213 canister filter I got. Absolutely silent! IMO They have sucky directions though, so if you decide to get one, PM me and I can help you set it up.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

UGF w/ powerhead my fav add a powerfilter and a sponge filter on the intake of the power filter. UGF's take more maintenance but the biological filtration is excellent for the price. Or if you have cash fluidized bed filters are awesome for bio loads. IF I had the $$$ I would go with an external fluidized bed filter for bio load and Bio wheel power filter for mechanical and chemical filtration.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com