Best type of filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on how large the tank is, what you have for fish, how often you want to maintain it, how much money you want to spend...

Personally I live having a canister AND a power filter. It gives the best of both worlds, and if one filter dies the tank will be fine with the other.

Alright, in a 20g tank, you can add one more Goldfish and the bio load will still be pretty high so keep that in mind. An AquaClear 300 would be a good choice, easy to clean and will catch a lot of waste.

A canister might work out better in the long run with the Goldfish, but maintenence will be a bit more difficult. Something like a Fluval 204 or 304, Rena XP2, Eheim 2215 would all be good. The canister would hold more media, and be better for bio.

I wouldn't add another Goldie to that 20 gal, I wouldn't add anything to that 20 gal... That tank is minimal for a adult Goldie, IMO Goldies need atleast 15-20 gal per fish and I know alot of folks that say a Goldie needs atleast 50 gal per fish.
As for filtration, I agree with the AC300 (I believe they now list as AC30), and with the new Bio-max media Hagen/AC is using they are even better Bio-Filters than they were before. I also put Chem-Stars in my two AC500's and have modified them with Bio-wheels for my 75 gal Oscar/Plec tank... AC500's on steriods 8O !!!
The AC300 and other similar HOB power filters have quite a output (create alot of current) and you'll want to mount as far to one side as possible so as to make a dead spot for your Goldie to rest in, that or break up the out flow with a screen of plants/structure.

I have to say I love the Eheim 2213 canister filter I got. Absolutely silent! IMO :) They have sucky directions though, so if you decide to get one, PM me and I can help you set it up.

UGF w/ powerhead :) my fav add a powerfilter and a sponge filter on the intake of the power filter. UGF's take more maintenance but the biological filtration is excellent for the price. Or if you have cash fluidized bed filters are awesome for bio loads. IF I had the $$$ I would go with an external fluidized bed filter for bio load and Bio wheel power filter for mechanical and chemical filtration.

Back
Top Bottom