Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a Marineland C360 on my 40 gallon. I never hear it at all and it provides a lot of movement. It's not as easy to clean as a HOB, but its not too bad. I would definitely go with a canister, though. Big reason for me was that its hidden underneath the tank and only requires a little more than an inch or inch and a half for tubing between the tank and wall.

I don't keep cichlids, but strongly considered it. One thing I learned was that a lot of filtration is good with them, so getting a filter that is rated for a bigger tank might be worth considering.

CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

The rena canister filter i was looking at possibly buying is for tanks up to 175gal.

I was wondering though if they are hard to set up someone i know got a canister filter and set it up but ended up draining half a 75gal all on to the carpet. But they also were trying to hook up the filter to not one but two tanks could this have been their problem if the filter was not made for that type of use?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
The rena canister filter i was looking at possibly buying is for tanks up to 175gal.

I was wondering though if they are hard to set up someone i know got a canister filter and set it up but ended up draining half a 75gal all on to the carpet. But they also were trying to hook up the filter to not one but two tanks could this have been their problem if the filter was not made for that type of use?
Its all color coded to make it simple. I've never tried or know if it can be hooked up to two different tanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

Its all color coded to make it simple. I've never tried or know if it can be hooked up to two different tanks.
I think it probably isn't a good idea to hook it up to two tanks i don't think they are made for that otherwise they would state this. So i am guessing that, that had been what caused it to back up.

So a 175gal rena canister filter should be sufficient? It won't take out all the healthy bacteria from my tank?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #15

I would recommend, and prefer, HOBs over canisters, and in this realm you can't go wrong with multiple AquaClears or Aqueons...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

100 gallon tank, do yourself a favor and get a canister. I don't them BUT I have a 75 gallons and my AC110's do the job. If I had a 100 or 125 gallon I'd have a canister or two! Maybe even a sump!

I'm surprised we haven't mentioned a sump (cough) (cough)

If I had time I'd live to do a nice sump. There's a member here with a killer tank, and it has a turtle!! He runs a sump, his tank is BOSS! I kid you not.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
100 gallon tank, do yourself a favor and get a canister. I don't them BUT I have a 75 gallons and my AC110's do the job. If I had a 100 or 125 gallon I'd have a canister or two! Maybe even a sump!

I'm surprised we haven't mentioned a sump (cough) (cough)

If I had time I'd live to do a nice sump. There's a member here with a killer tank, and it has a turtle!! He runs a sump, his tank is BOSS! I kid you not.
Pump? What kind
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #18

Or, you can go with multiple HOBs, if it's in the budget...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post

Pump? What kind
Sump... I don't know anything about it sorry. A member here runs a sump on his tank. Are you familiar with sumps at all?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://youtu.be/0I2fSveP7Ls

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com