Best type of filters to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the best filters to use that not only work great but are easy to clean and set up?
I have heard some good things about canister filters are they the preferred filter to use?

Opinions, personal experiences

Thanks!!

What are the best filters to use that not only work great but are easy to clean and set up?
I have heard some good things about canister filters are they the preferred filter to use?

Opinions, personal experiences

Thanks!!

What type of tank? Size and stock?

100 gal cichlid tank with gravel not planted but lots of rocks

Whelp.... Canisters are very popular and do a great job. Unfortunately I can't really recommend any because the one I had I hated with a passion. But for your size tank and stock I think you greatly benefit from a canister as opposed to HOB's

I run 2 HOB's on my 75 gallon African cichlid tank with no issues.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/46421-albums11717.html

EDIT:

We'll wait for others who have much more experience with canisters as well as bigger tanks.

Canisters take a little more work to clean over hob filters. My choice would be a canister with that tank size if not a sump. But im not saying hob are bad filters at all and you can use them if wanted.

I would look into rena canister filters
Or aqua clear hob

Whelp.... Canisters are very popular and do a great job. Unfortunately I can't really recommend any because the one I had I hated with a passion. But for your size tank and stock I think you greatly benefit from a canister as opposed to HOB's

I run 2 HOB's on my 75 gallon African cichlid tank with no issues.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/46421-albums11717.html

EDIT:

We'll wait for others who have much more experience with canisters as well as bigger tanks.

Canisters take a little more work to clean over hob filters. My choice would be a canister with that tank size if not a sump. But im not saying hob are bad filters at all and you can use them if wanted.

I would look into rena canister filters
Or aqua clear hob

Thanks i actually was taking a look at the rena filters and i might try it out. I currently have two aqua clear filters but for me they just don't seem to work and they are very loud don't keep my tank as clear as i would like and the media eventually pops up and pushes the lids into my tank. Its also a pain for me to fuss around trying to get the filters off my tank.

Overall i just want something that gives a better performance and is alot quieter doesn't malfunction on me keeps the water clear and something i won't need to fuss around with trying to get off my tank. The cleaning of the filter itself im not to concerned about because since i have two fairly large aqua clear it already takes a while to clean them out and than fuss around with them to set them back up.

Thanks i actually was taking a look at the rena filters and i might try it out. I currently have two aqua clear filters but for me they just don't seem to work and they are very loud don't keep my tank as clear as i would like and the media eventually pops up and pushes the lids into my tank. Its also a pain for me to fuss around trying to get the filters off my tank.

Overall i just want something that gives a better performance and is alot quieter doesn't malfunction on me keeps the water clear and something i won't need to fuss around with trying to get off my tank. The cleaning of the filter itself im not to concerned about because since i have two fairly large aqua clear it already takes a while to clean them out and than fuss around with them to set them back up.

The Rena filters aren't to bad to clean they have a quick release feature to desperate the hoses. Then unlock the lid and dump it out. Pretty simple

Most canister filters these days are built with ease of cleaning in mind. I'd recommend dual canisters at that size tank. Personal recommendation would be two times Eheim 2217s if you can get your hands on them.

I have a Marineland C360 on my 40 gallon. I never hear it at all and it provides a lot of movement. It's not as easy to clean as a HOB, but its not too bad. I would definitely go with a canister, though. Big reason for me was that its hidden underneath the tank and only requires a little more than an inch or inch and a half for tubing between the tank and wall.

I don't keep cichlids, but strongly considered it. One thing I learned was that a lot of filtration is good with them, so getting a filter that is rated for a bigger tank might be worth considering.

The rena canister filter i was looking at possibly buying is for tanks up to 175gal.

I was wondering though if they are hard to set up someone i know got a canister filter and set it up but ended up draining half a 75gal all on to the carpet. But they also were trying to hook up the filter to not one but two tanks could this have been their problem if the filter was not made for that type of use?

The rena canister filter i was looking at possibly buying is for tanks up to 175gal.

I was wondering though if they are hard to set up someone i know got a canister filter and set it up but ended up draining half a 75gal all on to the carpet. But they also were trying to hook up the filter to not one but two tanks could this have been their problem if the filter was not made for that type of use?

Its all color coded to make it simple. I've never tried or know if it can be hooked up to two different tanks.

Its all color coded to make it simple. I've never tried or know if it can be hooked up to two different tanks.

I think it probably isn't a good idea to hook it up to two tanks i don't think they are made for that otherwise they would state this. So i am guessing that, that had been what caused it to back up.

So a 175gal rena canister filter should be sufficient? It won't take out all the healthy bacteria from my tank?

I would recommend, and prefer, HOBs over canisters, and in this realm you can't go wrong with multiple AquaClears or Aqueons...(y)

100 gallon tank, do yourself a favor and get a canister. I don't them BUT I have a 75 gallons and my AC110's do the job. If I had a 100 or 125 gallon I'd have a canister or two! Maybe even a sump!

I'm surprised we haven't mentioned a sump (cough) (cough)

If I had time I'd live to do a nice sump. There's a member here with a killer tank, and it has a turtle!! He runs a sump, his tank is BOSS! I kid you not.

100 gallon tank, do yourself a favor and get a canister. I don't them BUT I have a 75 gallons and my AC110's do the job. If I had a 100 or 125 gallon I'd have a canister or two! Maybe even a sump!

I'm surprised we haven't mentioned a sump (cough) (cough)

If I had time I'd live to do a nice sump. There's a member here with a killer tank, and it has a turtle!! He runs a sump, his tank is BOSS! I kid you not.

Pump? What kind

Back
Top Bottom