Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best type of filters to use?

What are the best filters to use that not only work great but are easy to clean and set up?
I have heard some good things about canister filters are they the preferred filter to use?

Opinions, personal experiences

Thanks!!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
What are the best filters to use that not only work great but are easy to clean and set up?
I have heard some good things about canister filters are they the preferred filter to use?

Opinions, personal experiences

Thanks!!
What type of tank? Size and stock?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

100 gal cichlid tank with gravel not planted but lots of rocks
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
100 gal cichlid tank with gravel not planted but lots of rocks
Whelp.... Canisters are very popular and do a great job. Unfortunately I can't really recommend any because the one I had I hated with a passion. But for your size tank and stock I think you greatly benefit from a canister as opposed to HOB's

I run 2 HOB's on my 75 gallon African cichlid tank with no issues.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...bums11717.html

EDIT:

We'll wait for others who have much more experience with canisters as well as bigger tanks.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Canisters take a little more work to clean over hob filters. My choice would be a canister with that tank size if not a sump. But im not saying hob are bad filters at all and you can use them if wanted.

I would look into rena canister filters
Or aqua clear hob
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post

Whelp.... Canisters are very popular and do a great job. Unfortunately I can't really recommend any because the one I had I hated with a passion. But for your size tank and stock I think you greatly benefit from a canister as opposed to HOB's

I run 2 HOB's on my 75 gallon African cichlid tank with no issues.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...bums11717.html

EDIT:

We'll wait for others who have much more experience with canisters as well as bigger tanks.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
Canisters take a little more work to clean over hob filters. My choice would be a canister with that tank size if not a sump. But im not saying hob are bad filters at all and you can use them if wanted.

I would look into rena canister filters
Or aqua clear hob
Thanks i actually was taking a look at the rena filters and i might try it out. I currently have two aqua clear filters but for me they just don't seem to work and they are very loud don't keep my tank as clear as i would like and the media eventually pops up and pushes the lids into my tank. Its also a pain for me to fuss around trying to get the filters off my tank.

Overall i just want something that gives a better performance and is alot quieter doesn't malfunction on me keeps the water clear and something i won't need to fuss around with trying to get off my tank. The cleaning of the filter itself im not to concerned about because since i have two fairly large aqua clear it already takes a while to clean them out and than fuss around with them to set them back up.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Thanks i actually was taking a look at the rena filters and i might try it out. I currently have two aqua clear filters but for me they just don't seem to work and they are very loud don't keep my tank as clear as i would like and the media eventually pops up and pushes the lids into my tank. Its also a pain for me to fuss around trying to get the filters off my tank.

Overall i just want something that gives a better performance and is alot quieter doesn't malfunction on me keeps the water clear and something i won't need to fuss around with trying to get off my tank. The cleaning of the filter itself im not to concerned about because since i have two fairly large aqua clear it already takes a while to clean them out and than fuss around with them to set them back up.
The Rena filters aren't to bad to clean they have a quick release feature to desperate the hoses. Then unlock the lid and dump it out. Pretty simple
Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

The Rena filters aren't to bad to clean they have a quick release feature to desperate the hoses. Then unlock the lid and dump it out. Pretty simple
Sounds pretty good to me i think that's what i will look into getting
Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most canister filters these days are built with ease of cleaning in mind. I'd recommend dual canisters at that size tank. Personal recommendation would be two times Eheim 2217s if you can get your hands on them.

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com