Best watts for heating my 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just about finished buying all the equipment I need for now, but I'm wanting to purchase a backup heater. I really love the Aqueon pro's, but I don't know if I need 100 or 150 watt. I want the option of enough power to crank up the heat if I ever need to treat ich, but I also don't want to run the risk of boiling my fish if the heater malfunctions. I'm probably over thinking this, but I could use some suggestions.

Reygan2 said:
I'm just about finished buying all the equipment I need for now, but I'm wanting to purchase a backup heater. I really love the Aqueon pro's, but I don't know if I need 100 or 150 watt. I want the option of enough power to crank up the heat if I ever need to treat ich, but I also don't want to run the risk of boiling my fish if the heater malfunctions. I'm probably over thinking this, but I could use some suggestions.

Any heater can malfunction that just goes with anything IMO if it were me I'd go with the 150. That will heat up to 55 gallons per there specs. I always go higher then the tank size.

Example I have a 250 watt for my 75 gallon.

Heater Question

Hello Rey...

When selecting a heater for smaller tanks up to 30 gallons, just figure on 5 watts per gallon of tank volume. For tanks larger than 30 gallons, three watts per gallon is enough.

For the large, longer tanks, I've found two heaters placed at opposite ends of the tank will heat it evenly.

B

Back
Top Bottom