Best Way to do a PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you recommend filling buckets or using those hose devices (25- 50 Ft long) that connect directly to your faucet?

Also - If you do buckets, should you dechlorinate prior to introducing the water to the tank, or just apply once the tank is full again?

I use the hose and it's so much better than buckets. after I drain out the water I put in enough prime for the whole tank and begin refilling. :-D

Do you recommend filling buckets or using those hose devices (25- 50 Ft long) that connect directly to your faucet?

Also - If you do buckets, should you dechlorinate prior to introducing the water to the tank, or just apply once the tank is full again?

If you're doing the bucket, dechlorinate as you fill the bucket, with a python add the dechlorinator to the tank and then fill with water.

I have to do the bucket method because the pH of my water out of the tap is (on avarage) 8.4-8.6, if I let it set for 2-24hrs it settles to 7.8. pH shock is a common issue and many people don't check what their tap produces then wonder why their fish don't survive.

If you're doing the bucket, dechlorinate as you fill the bucket, with a python add the dechlorinator to the tank and then fill with water.

I have to do the bucket method because the pH of my water out of the tap is (on avarage) 8.4-8.6, if I let it set for 2-24hrs it settles to 7.8. pH shock is a common issue and many people don't check what their tap produces then wonder why their fish don't survive.
Mr. Limpet,

Thanks for mentioning that. I'll be sure to check the PH of my tap water prior to filling up my tank. I would hope that it's a rare occurrence to see tap water with such a high PH.

I use a python to sift the sand and dump the water into a 50gal garbage can... then empty the water out side...I should mention i have (2) 50gal garbage cans one empty and one full of RO/DI...I then have a dedicated RIO pump with a 3/4" hose connected, I mix my salt in the garbage by running the RIO inside the garbage can turbulating the water... I do that for about 15-20mins so the salt is completely dissolved. I then use the RIO to pump the water back into the tank...

PS. I have the inside of the can marked to 35gals, just so i know how much water i'm removing and still allows the can to be moved with water in it.

I started doing it this way 10yrs ago when i upgraded from my 55g to my 125g... I wanted to work smarter not harder, (pouring buckets, whatta mess). A side aspect was the salt wasn't going into the tank poorly dissolved and there was no splashing as the pump put the water into the tank very smoothly and the water was at room temperature.. I didn't add the RO/DI until a few yrs ago...

Back
Top Bottom