Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks Andy! I looked back at my first post and I did mention a sheet of styrofoam. I guess I should have stuck to that. But this has been educational. Appreciate you chiming in. This is much better than a post down the road entitled "I just ruined my tank and floor because of crap advice I got on AA!"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
Nah it doesn't matter, I've literally been home alone all day with absolutely nothing to do.

My hand is killing me after all that scrubbing.. THAT is your fault, haha

When in doubt blame Fresh now...Lol jk Fresh

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
Thanks Andy! I looked back at my first post and I did mention a sheet of styrofoam. I guess I should have stuck to that. But this has been educational. Appreciate you chiming in. This is much better than a post down the road entitled "I just ruined my tank and floor because of crap advice I got on AA!"
Absolutely. Just trying to help.
When you are in the business as long as I was, you hear about all those wonderful pieces of furniture that were ruined because they were NOT designed to hold a fish tank. I cracked the bottom of a 55 myself because I put it not exactly on top of the support leg of a home made bookshelf. Came home from school one day to squishy carpeting ( across the whole house. ) Expensive SW fish in 1" of water and really mad parents at the same time. Not a pretty picture to say the least. So I know, first hand, what the OP might face if this isn't done right.

I found out about the furniture polish buildup vs styro by accident. It's not in any book. I was taking a 30 gal tank off a customer's hands, who had it on styro on an antique table. The tank came off fine but the styro stuck. When we applied some pressure, the styro took some of the finish off with it. The guy said he knew he should have put something under the foam because had other things stick to that table after it was polished. Live and learn.

So now you know for the next time. No guessing necessary
Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

WAKEY WAKEY!

Hello again.. Don't suppose there's any way of painting the styrofoam?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

DONT use spray paint...it melts it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

The styro can be painted with latex paint or probably even craft paint. Only the visible edges need to be done.
Andy has covered point loads from outside the tank, but, they can occur inside the tank as well. A rock sitting on a single grain of gravel can bust the bottom (a friend lost two this way). The very first all glass tanks, which originated in my home town in 1957, were built like the one in the picture, with no trim. After numerous broken bottoms from people setting the tank on a grain of gravel, a frame was added to lift the bottom.
I am a big fan of styro under tanks. However, it must be noted that styro will not help with level. It will aid with uneven surfaces, or those that aren't perfectly flat. Contrary to what is often stated on forums, it will also add support to the bottom glass, if there is no frame as in the tank in question, just as it does with an acrylic tank.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The styro can be painted with latex paint or probably even craft paint. Only the visible edges need to be done.
Andy has covered point loads from outside the tank, but, they can occur inside the tank as well. A rock sitting on a single grain of gravel can bust the bottom (a friend lost two this way). The very first all glass tanks, which originated in my home town in 1957, were built like the one in the picture, with no trim. After numerous broken bottoms from people setting the tank on a grain of gravel, a frame was added to lift the bottom.
I am a big fan of styro under tanks. However, it must be noted that styro will not help with level. It will aid with uneven surfaces, or those that aren't perfectly flat. Contrary to what is often stated on forums, it will also add support to the bottom glass, if there is no frame as in the tank in question, just as it does with an acrylic tank.

I'm not too worried about the decorations sitting on the sand since I'll be shaping the rocks and will be putting them in before the sand.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Good point Bill. I may have used the word "Level" incorrectly. What I meant was that the tank wouldn't have any stress points on the glass from an uneven surface when using styro not necessarily that it would be "level" as in "Put a round object on the thing and it won;t move because it's level." Right now I have 7 tanks on a rack that is far from level but since they are on styro, you can see from the compression of the foam just how bad the level is. LOL But they have been there for over a year so I have no worries

Thanks for the correction
Old 10-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

after having a wet rock slip from my grasp and hit the bottom and hearing that distinct TINK! sound of cracking glass many, many years ago, I have always used something in the bottom of the tank if it's glass. Whether it be an undergravel filter plate, eggcrate, or sheet of corrugated plastic (my new fav), that way when I drop something the bottom is protected.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've done some rummaging and found some Acrylic paint back from my school days.

This stuff should be fine, right?
I've used it on canvas before.

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com