Best way to pad an aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I need to pad the bottom of my 10G so mother dearest is assured that it won't damage her precious cabinet.

I have these lil felt tabs:

Would an assortment of these do?
Or would I need something with more surface?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Something like this:

Any obvious problems?

No padding under the walls might be a concern. I cannot tell if the walls are next to or resting on top of the bottom pane. On a larger tank IMO those pads would appear as "pressure points".
Perhaps another material such as a sheet of insulation styrofoam would work better.

I would use a piece of styro cut to the same size as the base. You can paint it black to look better. It will help prevent water getting beneath the tank as well as protecting from scratches and other marks.

Better to use a thin sheet of styrofoam, or Get a roll of foam shelf liner form Walmart and cut to fit - it stops scratches and sliding.

With your solution, make sure that you evenly support the perimeter, especially corners.

No padding under the walls might be a concern. I cannot tell if the walls are next to or resting on top of the bottom pane. On a larger tank IMO those pads would appear as "pressure points".
Perhaps another material such as a sheet of insulation styrofoam would work better.

The sides weren't covered so I've gone and done that..

I'm really trying to save as much money as possible..

All of these cost £2 in total and they are readily available whenever I want.

That is pretty inexpensive ($3.22 USD) and looks like a lot of the bottom is covered. It will probably be okay. Heck, why not splurge and get more to fill in the gaps?

That is pretty inexpensive ($3.22 USD) and looks like a lot of the bottom is covered. It will probably be okay. Heck, why not splurge and get more to fill in the gaps?

I'm going to.

About to pop out and pick up 2 more packets.
I guess it'd definitely be easier to just get that sheet thing that you mentioned, but this is a perfect way to waste a lazy Sunday :)

It's a masterpiece ahah!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know.. I'll have to sign it and auction it off.

It should serve it's purpose quite well! In the future those cabinet pads would be just fine I'd think. Surely mum appreciates the effort;)

It should serve it's purpose quite well! In the future those cabinet pads would be just fine I'd think. Surely mum appreciates the effort;)

I hope she does..
It'd be a shame if the cabinet was to get damaged in some way....

Just use towels down to avoid water spots and keep.it dry at all times, some finishes stain easier than others.

Right... £3 worth of sticky stuff and this is the end result:

I did try to get it symmetrical but very quickly gave up.

For what it's worth, all those pads now create different pressure points along the bottom of the tank. Any one of them could cause the glass to break. A single piece of styrofoam cut to the size of the tank would serve 2 purposes: 1- it would act as a full pane support, 2- it would allow for any unevenness in the stand. Styrofoam will compress where it needs to and not where it doesn't. That means the tank will always be level. That's the best protection you can use. (y)

For what it's worth, all those pads now create different pressure points along the bottom of the tank. Any one of them could cause the glass to break. A single piece of styrofoam cut to the size of the tank would serve 2 purposes: 1- it would act as a full pane support, 2- it would allow for any unevenness in the stand. Styrofoam will compress where it needs to and not where it doesn't. That means the tank will always be level. That's the best protection you can use. (y)

Really?
On a 10G?
The water is less than 12" deep.
Surely there can't be enough pressure in that to crack the glass.

Really?
On a 10G?
The water is less than 12" deep.
Surely there can't be enough pressure in that to crack the glass.

The short answer is YES, it can!
If glass has too much pressure at a single point, it can ( and usually does) crack. Consider that the water is approx 7.5 lbs per U.S gallon so you have the weight of the water, the weight of the decorations and the weight of the rest of the tank all being placed on that one point. If the tank isn't level or there is a pinpoint pressure on the bottom under the tank, the pressure cracks the glass. Just ask any tank manufacturer ;)

FYI: I have had empty tanks crack when placed on their side but not on a level surface. A small piece of gravel can take out a side pane of glass this way. :eek:

The short answer is YES, it can!

If glass has too much pressure at a single point, it can ( and usually does) crack. Consider that the water is approx 7.5 lbs per U.S gallon so you have the weight of the water, the weight of the decorations and the weight of the rest of the tank all being placed on that one point. If the tank isn't level or there is a pinpoint pressure on the bottom under the tank, the pressure cracks the glass. Just ask any tank manufacturer ;)

FYI: I have had empty tanks crack when placed on their side but not on a level surface. A small piece of gravel can take out a side pane of glass this way. :eek:

Whys there always that one person to put me off something I've already done...

Back
Top Bottom