better lighting for freshwater aquariums? Newbie with lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep 4 planted tanks, all using the lights that came with their hoods. Low light low tech only.

I know that some lights bring out the color of a fish better than others. I notice that my pearl gourami looks very drab when out in full light, but when he moves his true pearliness really shows.

Can lighting help make my pearl gourami and other fish look less drab while also giving my plants a little boost? Or are their colors less about the lighting and more about them moving through shadow vs. in full light?

Thank you so much!

jetajockey said:
What kind of bulbs are in there now? Difference between a cool white or soft white bulb vs a daylight bulb is night and day.

Hi jetajockey,

No idea! The all say "all glass aquarium light" "hg" and there's a 17 watt over the 29g, and a 15 watt over the 20gH and the 10g. Other than that i cant see anything else on the bulb itself! I have no idea what a cheap standard hood contains!

To give your plants a boost, you simple need more light. Aim for 1-2Wpg and I think you'd see an improvement in the plants. I like daylight spectrum bulbs and possibly a roseate (ColorMax) bulb over my tanks. Losing the nasty yellow cast that you get with most bulbs really improves the look of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom