Better than basic lighting - new rimless tank Waterbox Clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
So this tank is 30G Waterbox Clear 2418

24 inches /61cm wide 18inches /45.5cm front to back and 18 inches deep.

I didn't get a light with it, and I didn't have a 24" sitting in the utility closet.

And the mounted metal / hanging or gooseneck light styles which make the light a part of the design feature was intriguing.

Kind of looking at the gooseneck type style or the gooseneck with 90 degree fitting.

Looking online and seeing reviews and comparisons with videos, I thought I might like to spend 100 or so $ as a splurge.

But this tank is a bit wider than the usual coverage for one fancy - Premium light like Kessil or Aqua Illumination. And there is no way I want to spend the money for 2 premium lights.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Side note is I got a light for it for the time being and I can get it set up soon - ECOXOTIC E-60 was $29 incl. shipping]

The style is important with this tank. I won this tank at the raffle at the CAS Fall Auction (super happy and lucky it seems)!

It was supposed to come with a light but the light did not arrive in time for the auction I think a AI. So it was decided it would be kept for a future event when it arrived.

Since I didn't spend money on the tank I thought a little for the light would be fine.

But I am in the middle of setting up an 80G river tank and soon scheduled for a new shrimp addition(a present)/tank set up.... so there really wasn't a budget for this Waterbox.

(Just spent $130 on rocks Friday and pebbles /substrate for the two tanks - happily there will be enough rocks available for this new Waterbox tank too.)

60074-albums14791-picture72274.jpg

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So other than the very expensive premium lights, it seems there are some $20-50 bargain Chinese gooseneck lights on the major websites, and the lights all look like the same light.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lokilow just mentioned building his own gooseneck lights! An Interesting idea.

Any thoughts / comments / ideas my light loving friends?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
My light for my shrimp tank came with those little eyelets on top so you can hang it, have you thought about hanging a longer light? I’ve used electrical conduit that I paint ( I like the matte black) to hang lights over tanks in the past.

My light for my shrimp tank came with those little eyelets on top so you can hang it, have you thought about hanging a longer light? I’ve used electrical conduit that I paint ( I like the matte black) to hang lights over tanks in the past.

Yes, will have the new "temporary" lights, Friday in the mail.

I quote the temporary because that just might end up being THE light as temporary seems to stay around awhile, lol.

Actually 2 same type lights are coming as I mistakenly ordered the refurbished light instead of the brand new one - for the exact same cost... Don't think I can send it back, but maybe (will see - ebay from manufacturer).

Until the lights come it is unclear if that will work, and use that metal cable or what. I am creative but sometimes scared of figuring things out like this. Often I think of something and just keep wandering around and asking different people at the hardware store or stores, until someone finds the thing I need to solve my problem.

What about a special gooseneck for the lights I will have? Or architect style light option. Maybe will be able to add some additional "style" to the light(s).

Here is a pic from a thread using the lights as you mentioned.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/the-60f-v-2-journal-ecoxotic-e-series-312396.html

These look like one kind might work

Some kind of hanger top to hold it - just thinking out loud also found individual cables not connected in the center.

60074-albums14791-picture72276.jpg

A quick update...

The 2 lights I ordered look great 1 refurb on the left and one brand new the right. Here are a few pics:

60074-albums14791-picture72288.jpg

60074-albums14791-picture72290.jpg

60074-albums14791-picture72291.jpg

60074-albums14791-picture72287.jpg

There are controllers for each and I don't have a clue yet on that part. I can turn them on and off (y)

The pic on the tank does not look bright but it is SUPER bright with one and 2 just makes it more so.

They have no hanging eyes but have a very smooth look. When I have more time to learn more about their features I will.

This is part 1 of the lighting saga.

Back
Top Bottom