Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

BH-2000 skimmer

I've got a reef octopus hob bh-2000. It's set up on my 65 gal, which currently only has two clownfish in it. There are basically no directions with this skimmer, and I'm concerned that I don't have it setup right. I see bubbles foaming up in it, but they don't rise up to the collection cup, basically the cup is still empty. Anyone know what would be causing this? Or is my bioload just too low right now that it wouldn't really be collecting anything? Thanks guys.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It sometimes takes a couple days or longer for a skimmer to break in. I've read that some oils from either peoples hands or from the manufacturing process are still present and prevent the bubbles from climbing up the tube to the cup. I've also heard that running vinegar diluted with water in a bucket through the skimmer will help with this and cut down on the break in time, but I haven't tried it myself. I've had two skimmers and both took 2-3 days before they started working, and sometimes they need some adjusting to get them dialed in just right. I try to adjust the bubbles to where they reach the top of the collection tube in the cup in about 3 minutes, but thats just a rough estimate or starting point, it will still need some adjustment to get good dark skimmate. Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1 View Post
It sometimes takes a couple days or longer for a skimmer to break in. I've read that some oils from either peoples hands or from the manufacturing process are still present and prevent the bubbles from climbing up the tube to the cup. I've also heard that running vinegar diluted with water in a bucket through the skimmer will help with this and cut down on the break in time, but I haven't tried it myself. I've had two skimmers and both took 2-3 days before they started working, and sometimes they need some adjusting to get them dialed in just right. I try to adjust the bubbles to where they reach the top of the collection tube in the cup in about 3 minutes, but thats just a rough estimate or starting point, it will still need some adjustment to get good dark skimmate. Hope this helps somewhat.

That is helpful...thank you!

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com