BH-2000 skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a reef octopus hob bh-2000. It's set up on my 65 gal, which currently only has two clownfish in it. There are basically no directions with this skimmer, and I'm concerned that I don't have it setup right. I see bubbles foaming up in it, but they don't rise up to the collection cup, basically the cup is still empty. Anyone know what would be causing this? Or is my bioload just too low right now that it wouldn't really be collecting anything? Thanks guys.

It sometimes takes a couple days or longer for a skimmer to break in. I've read that some oils from either peoples hands or from the manufacturing process are still present and prevent the bubbles from climbing up the tube to the cup. I've also heard that running vinegar diluted with water in a bucket through the skimmer will help with this and cut down on the break in time, but I haven't tried it myself. I've had two skimmers and both took 2-3 days before they started working, and sometimes they need some adjusting to get them dialed in just right. I try to adjust the bubbles to where they reach the top of the collection tube in the cup in about 3 minutes, but thats just a rough estimate or starting point, it will still need some adjustment to get good dark skimmate. Hope this helps somewhat.

It sometimes takes a couple days or longer for a skimmer to break in. I've read that some oils from either peoples hands or from the manufacturing process are still present and prevent the bubbles from climbing up the tube to the cup. I've also heard that running vinegar diluted with water in a bucket through the skimmer will help with this and cut down on the break in time, but I haven't tried it myself. I've had two skimmers and both took 2-3 days before they started working, and sometimes they need some adjusting to get them dialed in just right. I try to adjust the bubbles to where they reach the top of the collection tube in the cup in about 3 minutes, but thats just a rough estimate or starting point, it will still need some adjustment to get good dark skimmate. Hope this helps somewhat.

That is helpful...thank you!

Back
Top Bottom