Big leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrein

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I bought my house a couple of years ago and there was a 75 gallon aquarium left in the shed. Today I decided to test it and see if it holds water. About halfway up water started spraying out of the corner. Upon checking out I noticed that the two panes of glass, one on the front and the other on the end were separating at the corner. My question is, can this just be re-siliconed?

Quick answer is yes, but the longer answer is maybe good idea maybe not.

One thing to see if there is a missing or broken brace on the tank, found at the top where the trim comes together from the front and the back, and where one might sit a glass top.

Usually on a 4' tank there will be one in the center, but some have an extra set in between, at, say the 1' area between the center and the end.

If you have braces and they appear to be secure and after you learn how to silicone a tank, I would watch a large number of videos on "how to".

If there is a cracked or broken trim/ braces then I would not chance in in my house. (You could do a patio tank though.) You can also check with the manufacturer about ordering a new trim. :)

Then it really is pretty simple. Check out all the seams and I would just make sure to get the area completely cleaned off of one side at a time and do the complete section including 6-8" along the bottom front and side, and you might as well do the top as well.

The reason is so that you don't end up with a stopping point that doesn't connect well at the bottom corner, and causes a flood. I would do all the seams over. king of diy has a video if I remember. Outside bead/seam and an inside seam so they combine and become one strong seam on the sides.

Make sure to pick up the appropriate kind and none with mildew resistent or fungicide.

I would only use Aquarium silicone if it were me. 75G of water on the floor would be a very bad thing.

The largest tank I ever resealed was a 37G. Not as big as yours. Others input and experience with large sized tanks, and watching the videos to get a consensus of great ideas and methods should be a valuable tool as well.

If you reseal, share some pics!

Quick answer is yes, but the longer answer is maybe good idea maybe not.

If you reseal, share some pics!

The quick answer should be no. This is not resealing a tank. This is re-building a tank. Resealing a tank should only be done before the catastrophic failure that is described here. Resealing a tank does not involve separating the panels of glass and removing the silicone there (which is not the same silicone as is typically talked about when re-sealing a tank). Since the OP can see the water is leaking between the panels that joint is already compromised and to truly "fix it" the panes should be completely separated, re-built/joined with silicone and then once the structural integrity is taken care of then you can do the nice cosmetic silicone interior seam.

I don't screw around with used stuff, especially tanks. You don't know if the silicone is dried out, if the tank was moved with water in it, etc. I compare the amount saved with a used tank versus the cost of the damage that a failure would cause. Once you do that analysis, there is no comparison.

Scrape out all the silicon and replace with new. I used the he silicon 1 that has no mold inhibitors or anything that could poison the water. It's super simple to do. You just need a razor blade, vinegar, a lot of silicon, and a Popsicle stick. First you cut off all the silicon and re move the top bracing and scrape away the corners. Make sure you put clamps on the outside to hold it together. Research all corners and let dry and cure for at least 3 days. Next remove the silicon from the bottom and set a bead as you did with the corners smear to the new corner edge bead. Let cute for 3 days. Now fill up with water and see if it leaks. I've put back together a 55g and baffles in my sumo this way with no problems. Also never try drill imho a 55 ?

Back
Top Bottom