big move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darby

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure where to post this but, i live in Wisconsin and my girlfriend and i are moving to Virginia. I have a 30g tank that o want to take with. I'm not sure how to transport my fish. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

You cam buy a foam cooler and a battery operated air pump to keep the water oxiginated.

And ker your filter media wet with tank water the whole trip
So when you start the filter back up it won't have to cycle.

Ps. How long a drive is that for us non-Americans?

About 14 years ago I moved a 125 galling saltwater FOWLR tank and a 55 gallon reef tank about 40 miles. I used the battery powered air pumps fir the livestock in buckets and coolers, I kept the tanks with as much water as I could carry them (they were both plexi) another person full of most of the live rock, and kept my filters (all canister type at the time except protein skimmers) full of water. I did not lose any livestock I just had some murky water and scared fish for few hours. The worst part is that it took long time after catching and housing all the fish, loading & driving, and then re-setting up the tank before adding them back in. Also with that volume of water I used quite a few containers to carry the cycled water lol.

I've only received them from vendors that I have purchased livestock from online. Depending on what your weather conditions are you can pack your fish inside bags and put the bags in styrofoam containers and add the packs in between some newspaper or such. You gotta be careful not to make it too cold or too hot tho. What kind of vehicle are you transporting them in? Possibly if they can ride inside the car in a climate controlled environment you may be able to just keep them in a cooler or other insulated container.

Definitely in the car. Tank and the rest in the u-haul.

I thought there were breather bags or something like that.

For a 19 hour move I would invest in a few things. Rubbermaid containers with secure, clamping, lids. Tight fitting lids are key as there will be sloshing water everywhere, no matter how slow you drive. Drill holes through the lids for airline tubing and power cords. A power inverter rated to power your selection of air pumps and heaters (size of inverter will depend on pump/heater ratings).

You know your fish better than I do. If they all got along and were from the same tank, yes, you can add them all to the same container. If there are aggressive ones in the batch, maybe get a smaller container to put them in.

They all get along, but i have read that you should separate them quite a few times. Thank you.

I haven't separated any other than a breeding pair when I moved. I didn't have any issues but you never know I suppose. If you notice a particular bully you may want to consider it. More than likely everyone will be semi-stressed from the move and won't be doing much fighting.

Fw. Ten fish in the tank. I don't know how big of container(s) to get.

What kind of fish are they? I moved a large angelfish, clown loach, cories, 10x tetras, upside down cat, kuhlii's and probably a few others (been a while) in a 20g rubbermaid tub half filled with tank water. Remember, this is only temporary so don't go too big.

I just moved 3 large angels and about a dozen small fish on a 2 day trip. I used styrofoam coolers. Everybody made it just fine, but meegosh has an excellent point about the water sloshing. The car seat did end up rather wet when all was said and done. Since the states I went through were really hot, I opted for styro coolers because of the insulation.
The only I separated were ones that were small enough to be eaten. My 3 angels and 2 dwarf cichlids shared one cooler and they didn't fight at all. I put some plants in there with them to lessen stress and the fish did stick to the plant cover as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom