Bio bags not holding up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Dirty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that one should use their bio bag filters as long as they can. I'm noticing that after 1 week with a new whisper bag that when I'm doing my pwc that the material is falling apart. They are made cheaper than back in the day. I guess I'll make my own. Anyone else have problems with these?

Maybe the manufacturers have figured out that we are on to their evil scheme of telling us to replace them every month. So they are making them cheaper to force us to replace them sooner?

I have not bought bio bags in a long time. I just used the frames inside the biobags and recovered them with the white/blue cut-your-own material from my LFS. I just did a fast whip stitch with fishing line around the edges to hold two pieces in place, like sewing two pieces of bread to a piece of cheese.

What do bio bags do exactly? I use carbon filters right now and I want to switch to an alternative filter. What should I do?

Biobags are just what Whisper calls it filters. They are fiber fill bags that are filled with charcoal. You can also get a do it yourself kit for them and fill with whatever media you want. I have two Whisper filters right now. I bought the first one 7 months ago and the filter is falling apart. I got the other one 6 weeks ago and it was so flimsy it feel apart the first week. I stuffed it with fiberfill to help with the filtration. I ordered a new HOB because the whipser HOB is so load. I ordered some filter pad from Dr. Fosters and Smith that you cut to fit. I am going to cut enough to fold around the plastic holder and use the bag latch to hold it in place.

Not sure how much the stuff fom dr fosters and smith cost but i just went to walmart or a fabric store n bought some polyfil that was $6 i cut it to fit my top fin 20, top fin 60, and penguin 250.. works like a charm have also heard of people just gettin the polyfil pillow stuffin in bunching it in the filter.. i prefer to cut mine to fit though.. i saved the plastic piece of my top in filter pads n wrapped it around then clipped with the plastic piece from the original then stuck it back in my filter... quick easy n cheap

I paid $5.59 for a 30x36" sheet. More than I will probably ever need. It is 40 micron felt. Seems to be working good. I also bought a carbon infused pad that is 12x12 for $3.49. I know most people don't like the carbon but it does keep the water clean.

I checked mine n its 100% polyester 45x60 it was like $5 something so i rounded up $6

Well on my 55g i run 2 hobs n 1 canister then on the 20g just 1 hob with the polyfil everything seems to be fine

+1 on the poly to replace bio bags. Just make sure it is 100% polyester. Any fire-retardant or mildew treatment is bad.
I prefer the sheets to loose stuffing because it's more likely to find loose fibers floating in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom