Bio Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ares

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep reading people say that bio balls are nitrate factories. Can someone explain why? I understand that they help convert amonia and nitrite into nitrate, so I'm wondering why they are frowned upon? I currently use them in my filter and am considering taking them out. All advice is greatly appreciated.

It's the Wet/Dry process that converts DOC (dissolved organic compounds = uneaten food and fish waste) to ammonia and then to nitrate and then to nitrate. It does not allow for the last stage of the Nitrogen cycle which is turning the nitrate to nitrogen.
That last step requires bacteria that live in an anoxic (oxygen free) environment. LR offers those areas in the deep recesses of the rock where there is little water flow. A DSB (deep sand bed) does the same in the layer below 4" (aprox).

That's why people are using LR rubble in place of bioballs. The LR rubble has some anoxic areas to help reduce nitrates while the bioballs do not.

A good skimmer and a refugium with macro algae can help quite a bit too.

If you decide to remove the bioballs, DO NOT remove all of them at once. The bacteria that break down waste to ammonia and nitrite live on surface of the bioballs, and you do not want to remove too much at once. Do about a 1/4 or a 1/3 per week as you replace the bioballs with LR rubble, or additional LR to the tank (slowly and only fully cured).

Hope that helps.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was wondering. I got confused because it sounded like people were saying that the bio balls actually created nitrates. What you're saying is that they help the nitrogen cycle but leave out the last step. That makes a lot more sense. I have a lot of LR in my tank currently and a DBS. I don't think there is any additional room to add more LR. I like the idea of replacing the bio balls with LR rubble though. Is it going to be overkill to have a lot of LR, a DBS, and LR rubble in the filter. I don't see how doing everthing possible to aid the nitrogen cycle could be a bad thing, but just want to be sure. Thanks for the help!

I agree. Avatar takes away from credibility. Thats why I wait for melosu to respond. Cowboys avatar shows good decision making. Go Cowboys (next year, superbowl!!)

OK, just a few more questions. Does it matter which container I put the LR rubble in? The bio balls are currently in the middle one that does not sit in the water. Should I switch it to the bottom one so that the LR rubble will sit in the water? How often should I rinse it off? Do I need any type of netting around it or is it ok to just let it sit in the plastic container? I'm just full of questions.

I'm just full of questions.

Nothing wrong with that.
Yes, if you use LR rubble they need to be submerged in the water. The SW cant just trickle over them like the bio balls. You might have to change places. They dont need any netting or anything just be in the water.

IMO for biological filtration submerged bioballs are no different than live rock. Generally speaking, what's the difference when it comes to filtration?

You guys are cracking me up. Serious LOL going on here!

LR anywhere as long is it's submerged is good. Can you ever have too much filtration? Doubt it.

Bioballs, even when submerged, don't have anoxic zones so they don't help as much. Some of the newer products do seem to have crevices in them so they may be able to take the place of LR.

I think I've heard that even with bioballs some folks have zero or near zero nitrates. A good fuge with lots of macro would help in that regard as would some other methods of nitrate reduction (denitrator).

There's not a lot of anaerobic activity going on in live rock either. Some though not much. If there is some study showing it does somewhere I'd like to read it. I certainly don't see a lot of bubbles (presumable nitrogen) releasing out of my rock. The lack of crevices means it doesn't have all those crevices for nitrate producing food/fish waste to land and get caught either.

In a submerged environment I'd never rip em out just to change them w/ rubble when I already have enough LR elsewhere.

For the short term would it be better if I put the bio balls in the bottom container. There is currently sintered glass in there. I has someone suggest that I should remove the sintered glass. Would you advise the same?

Giants anyday I love your avatar afterall who beat the cowgirls twice this year heres looking to a better next year GO GIANTS!!!!

Is it SIPORAX?
"Made of sintered porous glass. It is small porous cylinders that provide a very high surface area per cubic foot. It is a manmade lava rock type of product that is fairly expensive, but resists clogging. It can perform the denitrification function, as does lava rock"
Never used it, but it sounds good. Maybe too good.

I don't know if that's the exact brand, buy yeah, that's the stuff. I was told to remove it since my LR was doing the exact same thing. It came with my wet/dry filter. I can't find much information on it though.

*Upon looking into the SIPORAX more I don't think it's the same thing. Mine are just sintered glass cylalnders and are in a mesh bag. It sounds like the SIPORAX is a little different. I don't know. Maybe they are they same thing. They look the same.

I would leave the bioballs unless you are trying to solve some kind of a problem. If it aint broke, dont break it.
:jump:

Back
Top Bottom