Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ares
Bio Balls?

I keep reading people say that bio balls are nitrate factories. Can someone explain why? I understand that they help convert amonia and nitrite into nitrate, so I'm wondering why they are frowned upon? I currently use them in my filter and am considering taking them out. All advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

It's the Wet/Dry process that converts DOC (dissolved organic compounds = uneaten food and fish waste) to ammonia and then to nitrate and then to nitrate. It does not allow for the last stage of the Nitrogen cycle which is turning the nitrate to nitrogen.
That last step requires bacteria that live in an anoxic (oxygen free) environment. LR offers those areas in the deep recesses of the rock where there is little water flow. A DSB (deep sand bed) does the same in the layer below 4" (aprox).

That's why people are using LR rubble in place of bioballs. The LR rubble has some anoxic areas to help reduce nitrates while the bioballs do not.

A good skimmer and a refugium with macro algae can help quite a bit too.

If you decide to remove the bioballs, DO NOT remove all of them at once. The bacteria that break down waste to ammonia and nitrite live on surface of the bioballs, and you do not want to remove too much at once. Do about a 1/4 or a 1/3 per week as you replace the bioballs with LR rubble, or additional LR to the tank (slowly and only fully cured).

Hope that helps.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks. That is exactly what I was wondering. I got confused because it sounded like people were saying that the bio balls actually created nitrates. What you're saying is that they help the nitrogen cycle but leave out the last step. That makes a lot more sense. I have a lot of LR in my tank currently and a DBS. I don't think there is any additional room to add more LR. I like the idea of replacing the bio balls with LR rubble though. Is it going to be overkill to have a lot of LR, a DBS, and LR rubble in the filter. I don't see how doing everthing possible to aid the nitrogen cycle could be a bad thing, but just want to be sure. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Great post CMOR!

I just love knowing smart people!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Great post CMOR!

I just love knowing smart people!
I agree great post. If you could only get rid of that avatar you`d be really smart. LOL

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Avatar takes away from credibility. Thats why I wait for melosu to respond. Cowboys avatar shows good decision making. Go Cowboys (next year, superbowl!!)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #7

OK, just a few more questions. Does it matter which container I put the LR rubble in? The bio balls are currently in the middle one that does not sit in the water. Should I switch it to the bottom one so that the LR rubble will sit in the water? How often should I rinse it off? Do I need any type of netting around it or is it ok to just let it sit in the plastic container? I'm just full of questions.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
I'm just full of questions.
Nothing wrong with that.
Yes, if you use LR rubble they need to be submerged in the water. The SW cant just trickle over them like the bio balls. You might have to change places. They dont need any netting or anything just be in the water.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I like them both, but they each have terrible avatars!!

Go 'Skins!!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Thanx but no.....

IMO for biological filtration submerged bioballs are no different than live rock. Generally speaking, what's the difference when it comes to filtration?

Tags
balls, bio, bio balls

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com