Bio filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I have a 5ft 100gal aquagrande (aqua one brand) Lake Malawi tank that has a wet/dry trickle system built into the lid. I am curious how long is a safe time to shut off the filter to conduct maintenance? Is it just a matter of keeping the filter media wet whilst I get the job done? Or is there a basic safe time limit???

Also any thoughts on using Polyfilter mat?

Thanks team....:D

I wouldn't worry about it too much. usually the big worry with bio bacteria is that they die under anaerobic conditions, such as in a canister filter when the bacteria use up all the oxygen. There are anaerobic bacteria that live in those conditions but most of our bact that we like so much is aerobic. A trickle is always exposed to the air (unless yours is sealed up?) but if you want to keep the media wet, do so, it certainly wouldn't hurt and its good to stay safe.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. usually the big worry with bio bacteria is that they die under anaerobic conditions, such as in a canister filter when the bacteria use up all the oxygen. There are anaerobic bacteria that live in those conditions but most of our bact that we like so much is aerobic. A trickle is always exposed to the air (unless yours is sealed up?) but if you want to keep the media wet, do so, it certainly wouldn't hurt and its good to stay safe.

No it's not sealed, it has loose removable lids. Great easy to use system pumping 2000 l/h. Thanks for the info, I can rest easy ;)

NP, after all that cycling its easy to get scared over stuff like that. Bacterial crashes are NASTY!!!

If the filter media stays slightly damp, you should be good for a few hours. I've actually set the sponges from my ACs on the ground for 15-20 minutes while I scrubbed the housing and I didn't have any problems.

BigJim said:
If the filter media stays slightly damp, you should be good for a few hours. I've actually set the sponges from my ACs on the ground for 15-20 minutes while I scrubbed the housing and I didn't have any problems.

I was told that aside from a good rinse with tank water, that the build up in the filter chamber should be left in tact as it contains healthy bacteria. I clean the p/u tube good but that's about.

So was I misinformed?

Sent from my Epic 4G

I'm sure I lose some bacteria when I scrub out the filter housing, but the majority of them live in the sponge and biomedia. The gunk that builds up in the filter reduces water flow and can cause nitrate problems. Having a clean, efficiently flowing filter is a small trade-off for a few lost bacteria IMHO.

BigJim said:
I'm sure I lose some bacteria when I scrub out the filter housing, but the majority of them live in the sponge and biomedia. The gunk that builds up in the filter reduces water flow and can cause nitrate problems. Having a clean, efficiently flowing filter is a small trade-off for a few lost bacteria IMHO.

All excellent points. I know what I'll be doing tonight :).

Thanks Jim!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thanks for the sound advice guys, many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom